Chapter Three: The Real Reason Why It All Began

The initial reactions to Katsumi's declaration were mixed, to say the least. There were plenty of guys that lamented the fact they'd have no chance with the new beauty, though there were some that decided to think about more... unsavory possibilities. There were also a few that wondered why she had felt the need to announce her romantic interests right away.

Just like the boys, some of the girls were also wondering about Katsumi, but because they were in her field of vision, so to speak, a few did imagine what it would be like to be hit on by her. Katsumi really was stunning, and the girls that let their imaginations go wild were certain that if they did get asked out, it would be very difficult to say no.

However, those dreams were quickly dashed when Katsumi immediately rushed to Kanako and asked her out. While some in the class needed to reorient themselves, the ones who had direct connections to Kanako tried to process just what exactly was happening.

"Who is she?" Mayu wondered as she watched events unfold. It definitely seemed like this Katsumi girl knew Kanako, but as far as Mayu could remember, she couldn't recall just who Katsumi was. "Katsumi Ikehara... Ikehara..." Mayu kept repeating, but for as hard as she tried, the girl just wasn't popping up in her memories. Of course, Mayu hadn't become friends with Kanako until later in her life, so it was entirely possible that Katsumi was from a time when Mayu didn't know Kanako, such as elementary school. But, Mayu had also been someone who had been in the Iwanai school system for all her life. If someone like Katsumi had been around, Mayu was sure she would've remembered her.

Honestly, it bothered her. "She seems like an energetic type of person, and her hair is so bright... Would I really forget about someone like her? Maybe she changed from the kind of person she was. But, then again, Kana-chan recognized her within a minute or two, so maybe Ikehara-san hasn't changed much at all? Mmm, I don't know..."

Meanwhile, Itsuki was having much the same thoughts, but she also couldn't seem to remember who Katsumi was. "I wonder if she's someone from Kana-chan's past that we just don't know?" Itsuki thought. "And seeing her ask Kana-chan out like that... I hope Haruna-chan is okay."

Of course, for the two resident gyarus of the class, that particular relationship was their number one concern. Upon Katsumi's arrival, they had both been interested, but seeing her go straight to Kanako made them both worried. "As if Haruna hasn't had enough to deal with lately," Jasmine thought. Then, when it was suggested that maybe she was the one who was dating Kanako, Jasmine was honestly a little offended. "I get that she probably made that assumption based on my looks, but like... seriously? Besides, no offense to Kana-chan, but she's not really my type." Her eyes then drifted over to Haruna as she saw the girl look like she was about to fight. "Oh boy," Jasmine thought. "There's no way this'll be good."

And as Jasmine watched on, Chiyo sat and stared. Really, being guessed as being Kanako's girlfriend didn't really bother Chiyo, but she was far from unbothered in general. "Who the hell is this girl?" she thought, annoyed. "I've never even heard of her. Is she one of Kana-chan's old friends? It seems like Kana-chan remembers her, but maybe she's just being nice? Kana-chan doesn't really look too sure."

There was also the major issue of Katsumi asking Kanako out. "I guess I can kinda understand how she feels, but..." Chiyo thought. "It'd be one thing if she just backs down after finding out Kana-chan's already in a relationship, but I doubt it'll go that well. Actually, I know it won't, because I know exactly what kinda girl this Ikehara person is."

Energetic. Loud. Seemingly perfect in both grades and athletics. It was like she had walked straight out of a storybook. Upon hearing her credentials and seeing her, most people would just assume Katsumi was the perfect girl. But... Chiyo knew better. Being as experienced as she was, she was pretty familiar with the kind of girl Katsumi really was. After all, one of the girls in Chiyo's old "friend group" had been fairly similar.