Chapter Fourteen: The Soundtrack Of Rain

After what felt like the longest week of Kanako's life, it was mercifully almost over. But, while most were celebrating the soon-to-be coming of another weekend and the end of the month of May, the weather outside did not match the mood. Overcast skies hung above, and although it was no heavy storm, rain was predicted for most of the day. In a way, it felt fitting for Kanako and the mood she was in.

"Haaa..." she sighed as she ate her breakfast. "Is something wrong sweetheart?" her mom asked. "You've been sighing like that since last night." "H-Have I?" Kanako asked. "Sorry..." "Did you have a bad day at work or school?" her mother asked, but Kanako shook her head. "Work and school were both fine... I've just been... dealing with someone unpleasant." "Are you getting bullied?!" her mom panicked. "N-No!" Kanako exclaimed. "It's not like that..."

Honestly, Kanako wanted to explain further, but she wasn't really sure how. All she could do was think back on her argument with Katsumi. "I wonder if I said too much..." she initially thought, but then she shook her head. "No, I have to be firm. It's like Mori-san said. I have to fight." The prospect of being in a long-term battle with Katsumi was not one that Kanako relished, but if it was necessary, then that was what she would do. "It seemed like I got through to her a little yesterday, so maybe..." Kanako thought with hope.

"Kanakoooo," her mother called, suddenly getting the girl's attention. "Y-Yes?!" she yelped. "Geez, I've been saying your name for the last minute now," her mom pouted. "Haruna-chan's here to pick you up, so finish getting ready okay?" "Ah, s-sorry," Kanako said, quickly finishing her breakfast before dashing off to her room. However, as soon as she grabbed the last of what she needed, she was surprised by Haruna standing in her bedroom doorway.

"Kya!" Kanako cried. "H-Haruna? Why are you up here? I was about to come down." But, instead of vocalizing an answer, all Haruna did was march over to Kanako and then suddenly pull her in close. "H-H-Haruna?" Kanako sputtered, taken aback by the attack. For a moment, all Haruna did was stare down at Kanako. Then, she brought her lips to Kanako's, allowing them to share a kiss.

After she pulled away, she saw Kanako staring up at her, a faint blush in her cheeks. "...what was that for?" Kanako eventually asked in a lower tone. "Um, well," Haruna said, starting to feel awkward from her abrupt actions. "My aunt... called me last night. She told me that Ikehara-san had stopped by and caused some trouble for you at work."

"Oh..." Kanako said. When she had gotten home, she had been so exhausted by it all that the thought of telling Haruna had slipped her mind. "I-I'm sorry Haruna. I was going to tell you-" "I'm not mad," Haruna said quickly. "I just wish I could've protected you from that. Although, considering what my aunt said, it sounds like you didn't really need my protection." "Huh? What did Mori-san say about me?" Kanako asked. Haruna smirked a little. "She said, and I quote, 'That girl's a force ta be reckoned with. Even I shook a lil' when I saw her givin' it ta that red head.'"

"I'm sure she was just exaggerating," Kanako said. "Mori-san has lived a crazy life. There's no way someone like me would scare her." "...Kanako, you really should learn just how terrifying you are when you're angry," Haruna said in a defeated tone. "But anyways... I guess... that kiss was a way to soothe my own worries. Sorry if that's kinda selfish."

"If this is you when you're selfish, then you should do it more often," Kanako said with a smile. Then she stood up on her tiptoes. "What are you doing?" Haruna asked with a small laugh. "Making a request," Kanako said happily. "One more kiss please." "Well how can I turn down such a cute request?" Haruna said. Then they kissed once more, and after, they finally started making their way to school.

*****

"You know, it's a little lonely without Chiyo around every morning now," Kanako said as they walked along. "Really?" Haruna said. "I'd say it's more peaceful." "I know you miss her too," Kanako teased. "Yeah, I totally miss getting pounced on and knocked to the ground," Haruna said sarcastically. "But seriously... hasn't she been spending a lot more time with Fukuhara-san lately?"