Chapter Twenty-Two: Kiss Of Destruction, Part One

After the initial shock wore off, the first thing Haruna did was call Kanako. When the girl answered, she gave a sleepy-sounding "Hello?" "Kanako, something super weird just happened," Haruna said. "Mm, okay," Kanako said. "But can't it wait until morning? I was just about to fall asleep..." "There's no way this can wait," Haruna said. "Ikehara-san just asked me out on a date."

Immediately, the phone call ended, and Haruna was left wondering what was going on. She didn't have to wonder long though, as about a minute later she got a text telling her to open the front door of her house. Heading downstairs, Haruna reached the door and opened it as quietly as she could, as her parents were already in bed.

"You didn't have to rush over here," Haruna said. "A-As if I could sleep after getting a text like that," Kanako said, wearing a set of pink pajamas. "This is something we need to talk about right now." "Well, I guess since you're already here..." Haruna said. She had only been planning on discussing this newest problem over the phone. Instead, Kanako came in, and as if it were natural, began making tea. Having been essentially banned from the kitchen, Haruna could only sit and wait.

Once the tea was poured, a fragrant aroma lightly wafted throughout the living room. "I hope this doesn't wake my parents up," Haruna said. "I feel like this looks like you snuck over here." "Y-Yeah, I guess it does look that way," Kanako agreed. They each took sips of their tea before finally getting to the issue at hand.

"So, what do you mean Ikehara-san asked you out on a date?" Kanako asked. Haruna pulled out her phone and showed Kanako the message she had received. "She didn't send any others?" Kanako asked. Haruna shook her head. "Nope. Just the one. I texted her back to ask her what she meant, but I haven't gotten a response."

Kanako went into thought for a moment before speaking again. "Maybe whatever she's been planning will happen on that date..." "Even if that's true, the idea of spending any of my night with her sounds awful," Haruna said. "I feel the same," Kanako said. "But..."

The simple fact was, regardless of how Haruna or Kanako felt about it, going on a date with Katsumi was a good opportunity. Because she was the one to suggest it, it probably meant she had something in mind. If that something turned out to be the end goal of whatever it was that Katsumi had been planning, then that meant that the facade of her being nice to Haruna could finally end. Ultimately, it was possibly a chance to rid themselves of Katsumi for good.

Both Haruna and Kanako understood that as they sat in silence and contemplated, weighing the pros and cons. Of course, the obvious con was the actual date part. Kanako really didn't like the idea, especially when she still had her own worries about what Katsumi was doing.

As for Haruna, she wanted nothing to do with it. "And besides, it's not like she can make me," Haruna thought. "This won't be like the sports festival. I won't let Ikehara-san drag me into another one of her schemes." With no material to use and no arguments to be made, Haruna was certain that this would all amount to nothing.

"...You should go," Kanako suddenly said. "...huh?" Haruna let out, not even sure if she heard Kanako right. "I'm sorry, did you just say I should go?" Kanako nodded. "Y-Yes." "Have you lost your mind?" Haruna asked. Kanako grimaced. "I-I mean, it's not like I really want you to go. Honestly, the idea of you going on something that Ikehara-san is calling a date makes me really uncomfortable." "Then I'm obviously not gonna go!" Haruna exclaimed. "You have to!" Kanako shouted back.

For a moment, they thought they heard movement from upstairs, so they both froze. Once they felt it was clear, they continued in quieter tones. "You have to go," Kanako insisted. "It's too big of an opportunity to just ignore." "I know that, but..." Haruna said. "You'll just be miserable the whole time I'm out there..." "A-About that..." Kanako said. "I was thinking, um... that maybe I'd... f-follow you..."