Q&A

Q: Why was the dialogue written in paragraphs instead of separate lines?

A: This was a question I got a lot in the beginning and still occasionally as the series went on. To give an answer, there are two reasons. The first is that I really wasn't sure how to properly format dialogue, so I just went with what I did. By the time people started asking about it, I was already a volume in, so I just decided to stick with it. Sorry if some of you found it difficult to read.

The other reason is that I love singular dialogue lines when something really important or impactful is being said, so I thought writing in paragraphs would help those lines stand out more.

Q: Was Katsumi really necessary?

A: If you really think about it, most drama in any story isn't necessary, but if you take it away, you're left with hardly any story. In my case, Katsumi served as something I wanted to see in a yuri series, which is someone really challenging an established relationship. She also helped to solidify Haruna and Kanako's relationship while adding some drama to Chiyo and Michi's.

Q: Why wasn't the series longer?

A: So, the original plan for the series was for it to be five volumes, covering just the second year of high school. Then I decided it'd be nice to explore some other themes and ideas, so I'd cover the third year too. What happened to that plan was my writing somehow outpaced my original plan, leading to the number of total planned volumes dropping from ten to nine to eight to, ultimately, seven.

There was much more planned, but what I realized was that I would be repeating major events, just with a slightly different cast of characters. In the end, I felt it would've become a series that went on for too long instead of ending when it should've, hence why it just sort of skips through the second and third terms of the characters' third year of high school.

Also, just so you all know, the original, longer plan for the series was for Katsumi to actually break up Haruna and Kanako and for that to be a full arc, so for those of you that didn't want to suffer, you're welcome.

Q: Why wasn't the series fluffier?

A: I can't write fluff. I tried. The best I could always manage was about a couple pages at most. I guess my writing is just naturally geared to be more dramatic...

Q: What happened to Jasmine and Mayu?

A: They're not a couple, but they do keep in regular contact. Jasmine calls their relationship complicated in the final chapter because that's how it feels. They both kind of understand they have feelings for one another, but they also don't want to commit. Basically, they're not dating, but because of that understanding, they might as well be.

The Jasmine-Mayu pairing was also a pairing that was completely unplanned originally, which is also another reason why they only got occasionally highlighted and why their future is left somewhat vague and open-ended.

Q: Why did Chiyo keep helping Akio if she knew how far he was willing to go?

A: I noticed several of you asked about this part specifically, so I'll try to explain it from what best I can remember. Chiyo agreed to help Akio because she believed his plan was a good one in terms of helping Haruna and Kanako repair their relationship. Her hope, however, was that Akio wouldn't have to go as far as he did, and she kept trying to find ways to stop him from reaching that point. Ultimately, when he does it anyways, that's when Chiyo says she won't help him anymore, because he's just hurting her friends. Of course, the damage is already done by that point...

Q: Is Iwanai accurately represented?

A: Not really. It's true it's a small town in Hokkaido, but any business names written in the story were changed, and I added a lot to the town through my writing because it was very, very limited in options for what high school girls could do for entertainment. However, one of the weirdest things that was closer to being accurate was the use of taxis. How frequently they're used in Iwanai, I don't know, but there are multiple services in the town. In contrast, there's quite literally no train stations and only one bus line.

Q: Will the Jasmine-Mayu ship be included in the side story?

A: Jasmine will definitely make appearances in the side story due to her friendship with Chiyo, but the featuring of the ship itself will most likely be minimal.