Chapter Thirty: Graduation Day

If one didn't own a calendar, it still would've been easy enough for them to figure out what time of year it was. Through January and February, junior high and high school students alike were so stressed and worn down that they were practically like zombies as they trudged through the halls of Iwanai High. For some, they were worried about if they got into their dream school. For others, they simply hoped they got into any school at all. Now, with it finally being close to the middle of March, that mood was beginning to change.

Students who were once stressed now seemed relieved as letters of acceptance began coming in. For another group, the relief was only superficial, as they were just accepting their fate, whatever it may be. And as for a certain group of girls, it appeared that somehow, it was all going to work out for them.

"I can't believe I got in!" Itsuki exclaimed. "I can't believe you actually had to take a test even though you had a sports recommendation," Jasmine commented. "I'm happy for you, Itsuki-chan," Mayu added. At the moment, those three and the others were gathered just outside the gymnasium as the students prepared to go in for their graduation ceremony.

It had come so fast that many could hardly believe it, but their high school days were finally coming to an end. "It's a little sad, don't you think?" Kanako asked Haruna. "I don't know," the other girl said with a shrug. "I guess I'm not as attached to this place." "Remember that without this place, we might not have ended up together," Kanako pointed out. "Thank you for all you've done," Haruna said, immediately bowing to the school.

Soon enough, an announcement was being made for the students to enter. In an orderly fashion, the boys and girls of Iwanai Municipal High School filed in, taking their seats. "Hey, Mi-chan," Chiyo whispered as they sat down. "Ya look a little pale. Ya nervous?" "O-Of course I'm nervous!" Michi whispered back harshly. "Like I want to actually give this dumb speech!"

By some stroke of luck (or perhaps a curse from Michi's perspective), Michi Fukuhara had managed to finish first in her whole grade, winning it by the margin of a single point. She was happy at first. That is, until Chiyo reminded her of what came with such an honor. Since the final grades had come out, Michi had been spending days trying to write up a good speech, but even now, she still wasn't satisfied with it.

Once all the students were seated, along with the friends and family members that had come to watch, the principal of the school made his way up to the podium. "Good afternoon everyone," he began. "And thank you for coming to such a spectacular event. I truly look forward to this ceremony every year, because as a school, and as myself an individual, it's our chance as a collective whole to send these bright young minds off into the world, in hopes that they one day be able to achieve great things."

"In my time here, I've seen quite a lot. I've seen students with promise leave here and accomplish very little, and I've also seen students who didn't stand out at all go on to write their names in the history books. Students, today is your starting line. Before you is a chance to go out and experience the world of your own volition. Gone will be the days of ever-present parenting, hand-holding through life, and a structured school schedule. But in place of those things, you have freedom. Freedom to do what you believe is right, and what you believe are the things you should do. Do not waste this opportunity, for the choices you make in these early beginnings may very well set the tone for the rest of your life."

"This is by no means meant to put pressure on any of you. Rather, it is simply a reminder. A reminder that while these times may have been hard for some of you, the road ahead is unmarked, and untraveled by your own feet. The future can and will be what you wish for it to be, so long as you put in the effort to make it so. If your days have been dark to this point, then I urge you to start making them brighter starting today. And if your days have always been light, then prepare yourself and make use of that joy you've found, because you'll need it for the days ahead."