Chapter Sixteen: A Hair's Breadth

"17 years..." Chitose thought. "I've known this girl for 17 years of my life. I've watched her grow up, seen her do things a kid her age shouldn't be doing, and practically raised her myself for a while now... But never in my life have I ever seen Chi look this flustered."

"Let's see, I need this, and this. Oh, and this shirt! Probably this skirt too! Oh, but if we go out, I might want this one instead... And make-up, I need make-up. But which set should I bring? This one is good for night, but I don't know if we'll be out late. Oh, but this one is nice for highlighting features. Ah, and what about lipstick? Does Mi-chan like brighter or darker colors? I'm really not sure... I'll just bring a bunch of them. Oh, and I can't forget snacks either! Should I make something? Oh, but she might make something herself..."

Leaning on the doorway, Chitose snickered. "Y'know it's just one night, right Chi?" "I-I know that!" Chiyo exclaimed as she continued to rush around her room like a tornado. "But this is a big deal sis! Mi-chan invited me to sleep at her place! To sleep there! With her! Alone!" "Chill out girl," Chitose said. "It's not like you're sleeping sleeping together." "Well, yeah, but..." Chiyo finally slowed down.

"Mi-chan... lately she's been... I don't know, different, I guess." "Different how?" Chitose asked. "Like, she keeps letting me come over and walk with her to school. Sometimes we even hold hands too. And at lunch, she sits real close to me. And lately, it kinda feels like she's been nicer... Now this sleepover..." "Ya make it sound like it's a bad thing," Chitose said. "No, of course it isn't!" Chiyo cried. "But... is this really okay? Is Mi-chan just being a better friend, or... is she like, actually gettin' closer to me?"

Suddenly, Chiyo felt a bop on her head. Standing next to her was Chitose. "Don't start doubtin' everything now," she said. "Chi, the two of you have been through a lot already, so I get ya wantin' to be skeptical." Chitose put her hands on her little sister's shoulders. "But this time, just embrace it. It ain't over 'til that girl says so, right?" "Right..." Chiyo said. Really, she wanted to believe in her sister's words, but if past experience had taught her anything, it was that getting her hopes up would only lead to disaster. "But it's so hard not to when Mi-chan's the one takin' action..." she thought.

"Finish getting packed," Chitose said kindly. "And pack for ONE night, Chi. Mi-chan doesn't need ya movin' in." "Hey, that doesn't sound so bad," Chiyo commented. "Not until you're 18!" Chitose called as she walked away. Though, as she did, she had a thought. "Well, it's not like I could really stop her if she did move in with Mi-chan tomorrow."

Finally, after about another hour of picking and choosing what to bring, Chiyo brought out a suitcase and a small bag. "C'mon, Chi, ain't that still too much?" Chitose commented. "No way!" Chiyo protested. "I brought it down to the gal essentials y'know? It wasn't easy!" "I'm pretty sure you've got more than just essentials in there, but whatever," Chitose said with a shrug. "C'mon, I'll take ya to Mi-chan's place."

So the two Wakabayashi sisters got in the car and made the brief drive over to the older-looking apartment complex. "Hey, Chi. Tell Mi-chan to come out here. I wanna talk to her real quick." "Huh? About what?" Chiyo asked. "'Bout you. I'm gonna tell her all your weaknesses!" Chitose teased. "If ya do, I'm gonna put up pics of deer all over the house!" Chiyo declared. "Don't you dare fill our home with those evil things!" Chitose yelled back. "Seriously, why are ya even scared of 'em? They're cute," Chiyo said. "Ya wouldn't think that if ya got kicked in the head by one as a kid," Chitose said darkly. "I'll never forgive Nara!" "I don't think it's Nara's fault..." Chiyo muttered.

"...What are you two doing?" Michi asked, suddenly appearing next to the car. "M-Mi-chan?!" Chiyo exclaimed in surprise. "Why're you out here?" "I was wondering if you were running late, so I kept checking- I mean, I just happened to look outside and saw your car!" Michi said, failing at covering her real reason. "Aw, were ya worried about me Mi-chan?" Chiyo teased. "As if!" Michi shot back, though the fact that she looked away with faintly pink cheeks suggested otherwise.