Job Offer

The Mandalorian came back only seconds after I had finished.

"Just in time. Most of the fixes were minor except for the engine. The negative power coupler needed replacing and the overdrive thruster was way out of wack. We had plenty of extra couplers so I just found one that fit and all the thruster needed was a little push. I fixed the handling for you, too. She'll ride much smoother from now on," I said.

He was quiet as he looked over the work I had done on his ship. I couldn't tell if he thought I did a good job or if he was about to shoot me between the eyes. He looked at me, the black t-shaped visor concealing his true feelings.

"Well done," he said. "You have a gift."

My cheeks went hot. "Thank you. It's always nice to hear one's work is appreciated."

"Have you worked here long?" he inquired.

"Just a few years. My daddy always said I had natural talent with machines. He taught me everything I know."

"Any chance you would like a change of scenery?"

My mouth gapped open in shock. "Are you offering me a job?" I said.

"Believe I just did."

This was to good to be true. "For how long?"

The Mandalorian shrugged. "As long as you want, as long as you can keep the Crest flying."

I couldn't help myself from grinning and I was pacing back and forth from excitement. "Yes! Absolutely. Let me just get some of my things. I live super close, it'll only take a few minutes. Crap, I have to tell Baxter. Oh maker, he's gonna be so mad."

"Hey kid, calm down," he said in a commanding tone. "I'll talk to your boss, he won't say no to me. You just focus on packing. Don't bring anything you won't definitely need. We don't have that much space."

"Sorry. I'll go right now." Before I left I turned around and said, "Don't leave without me."

He shooed me away. "I won't. Now go."

I couldn't believe it. After spending all my years living on this desolate planet, I was finally leaving. I was finally free.