On the Run

Din startled me awake the next morning. "Viv! Viv! Wake up!"

"Five more minutes," I groaned at him, turning my head away and curling back under the covers. He grabbed my shoulders and lifted me so I was sitting up, still shaking me. I shoved him off and said, "Okay, okay, I'm up. What's going on?"

"We have to go, now!" Din grabbed our bags, took my hand, and propelled us out the door. We rushed down the stairs, twisting and turning until we reached a back alley.

"Din, what the hell is going on?" He shushed me and passed me a blaster.

"I need you to pay attention right now, we are running out of time," he said. I wasn't heeding his words in the slightest as I looked over his shoulder and saw a group of men harassing citizens on the street. Din grabbed my face with his gloved hand, turning my eyes away from the marauders and onto him. "Viv, listen to me. They don't know that you're here or who you are. They are after me. I need you to run back to the Crest and get out of here. Don't look back, understand?"

"What about you?"

"I'll deal with them, don't worry."

"I'm not leaving you," I said, my cheeks flushing in frustration. "We're in this together."

Din shook his head. "Not this time. These are dangerous criminals and I am not willing to put your life at risk because of my actions."

"What did you do to them?"

"I killed one of their own. I was young and stupid and trying to make a name for myself. Now, they've found me and come back for retribution," he explained. "Viv, I'm sorry. I'm sorry this happened. But, I need you to trust me and get back to the ship." His finger caressed my cheek to wipe away a tear that had fallen. "I'll be right behind you." Reacting on the chance I might never see him again, I kissed the side of his helmet before I ran off in the direction of the Razor Crest.