Jealousy

"What the hell was that?" I said to Din after we entered the ship and the ramp was closed. The walk back had been tense, Din not talking to me as I rushed to keep up with his wide strides. 

"Don't worry about it. It's high time we get off this rock and back on the road."

A realization suddenly hit me. "Holy shit. Where you... jealous? Because I was dancing with some guy?" 

Din shook his head. "No, that's not it. I don't get jealous." 

I laughed. "That's totally what it is. Wow, this has never happened before. Two men fighting over me? Unheard of."

He crossed his arms. "You're acting like that guy actually had a shot." 

"Well, he was cute. And, we were having fun until you came along and ruined it."

"I was worried about you. You weren't here when I came back, so I went looking for you. And, I wanted to give you this." He pulled out a small box from his pocket and placed it in my awaiting hands. Din gestured at me to open it and I did, revealing a small locket with a purple stone set in the middle. My mouth gaped open. "You got this for me? It's stunning." I unhooked the clasp, but struggled to close it again around my neck. 

"Here, let me," Din said. I turned around as he put it on, his hands resting on my shoulders after he finished. 

I looked down and admired it, the jewel shimmering despite the poor light in the cargo bay. "I love it. Thank you."  

"Can I trust you?" he asked, softly. He almost sounded nervous, more nervous than I'd ever heard him before. 

I turned to face him. "Of course you can trust me." 

"Close your eyes. And, don't open them." I did as he commanded and tightly shut them as a  whoosh of air and the sound of something heavy being put down reverberated in my ears. Soft breathe tickled my nose causing me to scrunch up. 

"Din, what is this-" I couldn't finish my thought because before I knew it, his lips were on mine. I felt stubble press against my face, his fingers caressing my cheek as he pulled me in, deepening the kiss. The intensity, the passion, the exhilaration was like nothing I'd ever felt before. I felt like I could melt into his tender touch, like nothing else in the galaxy mattered except this moment. I wanted nothing more than to see his face, to know the real man behind the mask. And, he was giving me a glimpse right now. 

He pulled away, putting his helmet back on. I opened my eyes and said, "Well, you certainly know how to subvert expectations."

Din chuckled. "Just thought I'd let you know."