This is the Way

"Onderon has always been a deeply troubled world," Din explained. "We must be cautious when we go there. Even though the Empire is gone, many sympathizers still remain, so don't do anything to attract attention."

"I won't, I swear."  We were sitting in the cockpit together, watching the bright blue streaks of hyperspace.

"Is it true Mandalorians never take off their helmets?" I asked.

"Yes," he responded tersely.

"What happens if you do?"

"I can never put it back on again."

"Sounds kind of restrictive if you ask me." He had nothing to say to that.

"So, no one has ever seen your face?" I prodded further. 

"People did when I was a child. Once you forge your armor and your helmet when you become of age, it is against the Creed to take it off in front of others," he said.

"See? Restrictive. I don't know if you'll be allowed to tell me this, but can I ask you something?" Din nodded. "What color are your eyes?"

The soft hum of the engines reverberated against the walls as he contemplated my question. I could tell he was hesitant to answer. "You sure ask a lot of questions," he said.

"I'm just a curious person, that's all."

"Some day you might ask the wrong person too many."

I chuckled. "You're stalling... you know, eyes reflect our souls. If you can't look someone in the eye, then how do you know who to trust?"

Din huffed. "Now look who's sounding restrictive."

I raised my hands in defense. "I'm just saying. If you can't tell me, that's fine, I get it, but just be straight with me."

"Brown," he said. "My eyes are brown. Will you be quiet now?"

"Absolutely not. Brown eyes are my favorite. They're so pretty, especially in the light, they look like honey," I rambled on anyways, followed by an audible sigh from Din. 

An awkward silence filled the air as we came out of hyperspace. Din had told me before we left that Onderon was a jungle planet, and seeing the different shades of green that filled the landscape made it very apparent. It was beautiful, like nothing I'd ever seen before. 

"Here we are," Din said. "Hopefully this won't take too long." I got up to go to the back of the ship. Before I left, I said, "Din?" He swiveled in his chair to look at me. "Thank you for telling me. Maybe while we're down there, we could get some new firing cells? They could really use replacing."

Din chuckled, the first time I had ever heard him do so. "Sure, kid. Anything you want."