The roach and the lady

Vera stood with her eyes closed In the centre of a giant living ball of hissing black roaches, frozen in what was neither shock, revulsion nor fear but something worse than all three combined. The abominable, armour-plated vermin crawled over every inch of her skin, their jaws chewing through her tender flesh in a desperate attempt to draw blood.

     She was in a world of pain, a pain so complete that she couldn’t even scream; her head hurt too much, her body hurt too much, even the hair on her head hurt too much. It was like getting stabbed relentlessly by a thousand knives, except it was even worse; it was like getting soaked in acid and stomped in the balls; it was like being on a thirsty unquenchable fire while a searing hot needle pierces through your eyeballs

    When Vera finally found her voice, she screamed as loud as she could, but even then she only made it worse. Her mouth which was protected by her closed lips, was now left exposed to the relentless roach army. Vera found herself giving up, praying for things to end.

     Just then, Vera heard a voice with boundless clarity; it was a voice so angelic yet frightening; it was a voice that betrayed no emotion but carried in it an overpowering authority that gave you no choice but to listen and obey

“Soy Veronica Deville y me harás caso” it began, speaking a language Vera knew she shouldn’t understand yet it was like it were said in plain English “I’m Veronica Deville and you would heed me”

    The roaches stopped dead in their tracks. It was like they couldn’t move even if they wanted to; they were just frozen, voiceless and motionless. The air that was previously filled with hissing and snapping was now filled with an electric silence that was more powerful than any sound.

“Soy Veronica Deville y me responderás,”

      The roaches crawled off Vera and condensed to form another ball behind her. The hissing was gone and all that remained was the sound of thousands of legs.

     Vera opened a sore, cautious eye to see a woman that was definitely her sister yet not her sister. She was both beautiful and terrifying, enveloped in a dark purple glow. Her eyes shone a dark purplish light that made every light Vera had ever seen seem feeble in comparison.

“soy veronica Deville y me vas a obedecer,” the woman said, her right arm outstretched

     A hand shot forth from behind Vera and slapped the woman backwards, knocking the object the woman was carrying in her left hand away and sending the woman flying like a rag doll into the wall.

      Vera turned to look behind her just in time to see its smiling face dissolving into a sea of roaches. A most sinister laugh made Vera turn her head forward again

       The Purple light had disappeared, leaving her sister, unconscious in its clutches. As it tightened its grip, It’s black wings  were flapping around along with its antenna in what had to be roach ecstasy

        Vera charged unthinking towards it,  punching and kicking it from behind in-effectively. The single, most annoying event of the first night she had encountered the paranormal repeated itself, she couldn’t draw its attention to her.

     Rage bubbled in her stomach, setting every nerve in her body on fire but with that rage came a single thought and Vera knew what she had to do.