Ⓣⓗⓔⓐ

I stood in front of the mirror, threading my dangly silver earrings through my earlobes. In fact, these earrings were my lucky ones, because the birds on the end of the earring always looked like they were flying.

"You can do this," I whispered, stepping away from the mirror, closing the closet door, and fixing the camera. Starting the video, I smiled brilliantly, flashing my pearly white teeth. I took a deep breath to steady my nerves, then began to speak.

"Hi, I'm Thea. It's really nice to meet you! Let me tell you a bit about myself. I believe that I'm intelligent, sporty, and reliable. You can come to me for any help with your homework. I'm always wearing sneakers and out on the field playing rugby. It's easy to recognize me because I often . The deed will always be done if you tell me to do something. You can count on me to do assignments and lead projects!

"Sometimes I may be a lil' bossy when I work in a group, but it's always because I like to do my best in everything. I'm slightly disorganized, but I always try to declutter and ensure everything is neat and tidy.

"Once again, I'm Thea, and I hope to see you around school as your new student house leader."

I shuffled to the right, outside the camera frame, and stopped the video. Then I uploaded it to the school's website. I'd promised myself that I would be genuine by only recording myself once, as opposed to the regular scheme of taking it over and over again until it was perfect.

I didn't know many people at my new school, but I hoped that with my air of confidence and sincerity, I would be able to gain votes.

I missed being in charge. A lot.

Everyone looked up to me as a bright, responsible leader, at my old school. But when I arrived, I instantly faded into a nobody, only noticed by the teachers. I was appalled at how chaotic my new school could sometimes get; and worst of all, the student house leaders weren't doing their job half the time.

There was one girl who was decent. She was slightly introverted, but once she warmed up to you (it would only take about a week), she was bright, bubbly, and friendly. Best of all, she loved singing just as much, if not even more than I did! From what I had gathered, she was probably outstanding in her old school too.

How I missed the sensation of everyone counting on me! How I missed having a purpose in school other than learning!

How I missed my old life.

I wanted a place where I could shine in the spotlight again, but I didn't know where to search. My new school seemed like a good start, but I still thought it wasn't enough. I wanted to be in charge of a place where everyone respected one another, not a place where people threw gum and tackled each other in the hallways.

"Show me a sign. Anything, please," I begged the night sky.

And as if my wish was answered, a ball of light suddenly appeared.

But how was a ball of light going to help me?