Chapter Fourteen

Diana could hardly believe how much she look forward to the ball. Nearing two weeks since acquainting herself with the Prince, Diana had once loathed being put on display for the marriage mart. Now armed with the idea nearing her dream of leaving London, she eagerly awaited her brothers to set off to the ball. Arm in arm with Darcy, Diana walked in wonder at Almacks looking up at the decorated ceiling that was lighted beautifully with candles among the gentle white wisterias that trickled down. It was an evening she planned on taking advantage of, as her mother was feeling ill and she could release the performance she had been playing. Across the room, she immediately spotted a familiar face, Penelope and her sisters. Immediately disconnecting from her brother, she moved toward her. 

"You look very beautiful tonight by the way." Diana grinned as she approached Penelope admiring the dress in a color that finally suited her fiery red curls.

"Thank you, I decided to take control of my wardrobe, it caused quite a row with my mother but all is well now." she beamed looking down proudly. 

"Is it for you, or for a certain someone?" Diana winked as a flush grew on her dear friend's cheeks. 

"To be honest, it was  for someone but then I realized how much I rather liked it more for myself." Penelope replied. 

Diana linked her arm with her wide grins on their faces. "Come let's go admire and judge our peers from afar before we are accosted."

"You mean before you are accosted, you do realize you and the Prince are becoming the talk of the town." Penelope grinned stealing a sly glance.

"If you are fishing for more information, Pen, I am sorry to disappoint you." Diana said with a small smile looking ahead as they wandered around the room. 

"Besides, I'm not the only one being stared at." Diana glanced across the way, gentlemen looked at them with interest.

"Oh!" Penelope blushed, finally noticing the men before turning to her.

"As many mothers say, let them come to you." Diana whispered but as she glanced across she met the gaze of her wayward friend Eloise entering the room. The Bridgerton still hadn't wished to speak to her and it had been the first time seeing each other since that day. Diana managed to hold her gaze and nod before Eloise decided that speaking with her younger sister was infinitely more interesting.

Daina's good mood deflated, wondering if her friendship was ever going to recover. The whole thing in hindsight seemed so silly now. 

Penelope, armed with a sympathetic smile always seemed to have the answer to her thoughts, "Don't worry, it will be alright, she is less angry it seems."

"Thanks, Pen." Diana was unconvinced and tonight the void seemed particularly astute. However, distraction arrived in the form of a gentleman, his gaze settled on Penelope as he asked her to dance leaving Diana alone.

Diana decided then to wander over where Eloise was. She had hoped to extend some sort of olive branch but wasn't quite sure how. Eloise had her back turned speaking with her eldest brother and Francesca; she remained that way until Anthony gave a warm smile. "Diana."

Eloise froze, turning toward her slowly.

"Seems like you should talk." Anthony weaved his arm through Francesca who looked confused and more interested in the strange dynamic between the two friends.

"Ms. Vincent" Eloise bowed stiffly. "El, we are not so much strangers that we have resorted to formalities," Diana replied softly her hopes becoming dashed.

"Well, considering you've changed and I barely know you anymore, we might as well be." Eloise quipped, stopping abruptly. Diana's shoulder's stiffened, the blow was direct, cutting and caught her off guard.

"I see." Diana nodded numbly, stepping back. "Perhaps we shall speak another time." Tears began to form in her eyes.

Eliose's mouth dropped. "Diana-." she started unsure what to say.

"Good evening." Diana nodded numbly moving past her, the tears threatening to spill.

Diana wasn't quite sure where she was going but the terrace and fresh air seemed like the best course. The night air was enough to make her feel something other than pain. The darkness offered a blanket of privacy for her to let her tears freely fall. Diana began to pace as if her feet seemed to guide her through various feelings of anger, regret, and missing her friend.

"Diana." a soft voice startled her from her thoughts. Joining her on the terrace was Prince Friedrich, his long strides met up with her, his blue eyes seemed solely focused on her.

"What's wrong?" He now loomed over her, his large hands settling on her shoulders to calm the bundle of nerves she felt.

Diana looked up at him, moonlight illuminated and softened his handsome features and for a moment forgot why she was upset. Diana tried to find the words but was silent. 

"Did someone hurt you?" he asked, voice hardened.

Diana shook her head and a small burst of laughter emitted instead. He stared at her patient offering an encouraging but confused smile. 

"I had a fight with my friend a few days ago and she still refuses to speak to me to hash it out, is all." Diana said. The Prince remained silent letting her go on.

"I'm just upset because she has said some hurtful things and I know I have as well and it just suddenly felt overwhelming." Diana realized her tears started spilling more as her words tumbled incoherently. 

His warm hand moved toward her cheek, wiping her tears away, the gesture was intimate and surprisingly comforting.

"I am truly sorry." he said.

"It's all just really frustrating, I am completely prepared to hash it out but she does not seem like she even cares." Diana exclaimed.

"Time Diana, I'm sure she is not having it easy either." he replied. "She is not like you, ready to face things head-on." 

Diana attempted to take a deep breath but struggled to do so as he took his hand in hers rubbing calming circles on her wrist and palms. 

"You are right Freddie, I should take this time to reflect on how I could do better anyways." Diana nearly stammered. His attention to her hands was maddening and she didn't want it to stop.

"Still, you are hurt by her but I suspect she will have similar regrets but I don't believe this issue will last forever." he replied. Diana chuckled, feeling oddly calmed after confiding in him.

Diana offered a small smile, "Thank you for listening." 

His blue eyes held her gaze, Diana could see conflict as if he wanted to say something but lost the courage to do it.

Soon noise behind them made them pull away quickly reminding them they were in society. The Prince cleared his throat before offering his arm. "Come, I found something that might cheer you." he grinned. 

Diana took it gratefully, intrigue growing as he led her back inside. When they wandered back inside arm in arm, moments ago she felt defeated and hurt now she felt as if she was a bubble where nothing could hurt her at this moment.