Chapter Twenty Seven

"Are you going to ride with Sir Steffan today?" her mother asked. It had been a couple of days since the engagement ball. It had oddly ended with the Fruelin retiring early and the Prince left to fend for himself.

"Yes, I think it will be the perfect day for a ride." Diana replied truly grateful to get out of the house and out in the open away from people.

"Please make sure that you come back in a timely manner. I know Damien will be with you but you know how he forgets the time." her mother added.

"I have a watch and I know how to use it mother." Damien grumbled.

"Really? Because last time I saw it, it was still in its box." the Twins snickered earning a glare.

"When are we to ride again?" Damien asked ignoring them.

"Before lunch." Diana replied. In her room she pinned up her hair, knowing this was the day she would reject Sir Steffan. It was an odd thought but surely it would be something that they would laugh about one day.

In her riding habit, a royal blue Diana had specifically picked Damien to accompany her knowing he would not care if she rode astride.

It was determined that she would go to Sir Steffan's home of residence and ride one of his horses and finish with lunch.

"You are prompt." Sir Steffan grinned as he lead her to his stables. Diana was impressed with his home and stables finding the horse he selected perfect for her.

They rode a leisurely pace at first finding many of the ton about due to the fine weather.

"Well, I know you've been itching to truly ride." Sir Steffan said prompting her when people were sparse and few.

"Damien?" Diana asked looking back at her brother.

"Do you see mother around here?" he grinned.

Diana moved her other leg over fully seated, the side saddle wasn't ideal but it did not stop her from adjusting as best as she could before taking off. Riding and finding the wind in her face and hair brought up memories of home in the summer.

"Be careful, she is not used to jumps." Sir Steffan had managed to catch up with her.

'"That's a shame." Diana grinned back at him.

"Follow me." he said riding ahead of her, she followed with Damien trailing behind. The clearing showed under the sunlight as they slowed to look at the view of the small pond.
Taking his hand he led her down to the ground. They strolled as they tied their horses nearly by, Damien decided to wisely stay back lost in his own thoughts and enjoying the weather.

"You know I have spoken to your brother and mother already." Sir Steffan said.

"How did that go?" Diana asked curiously.

"They gave the blessing of course, but I could tell they were not quite convinced about it." he smiled amused.

"I hope they weren't rude." Diana frowned.

"No! No! Not at all, I think they knew deep down how this is going to play out." he said pulling out a small box. Diana watched, she had wondered if there were supposed to be butterflies even if she didn't love him but none came. When he got down on one knee, she saw Damien from the corner of his eye halting abruptly.

"Miss Diana Vincent." he said loudly for Damien to hear. "Would you do me the honor?" with a flourish and teasing in his eyes Diana never expected to burst into laughter.

After a moment of finally catching her breath and in a serious tone knowing that Damien was surely lost at this point she gave him her reply.

"Sir Steffan, it would be an honor to be your wife but alas, I cannot not."