Chapter Twenty Eight

Dearest Reader,

              It has come with great sadness to report, that Miss Diana Vincent still remains asleep after the disastrous fall from her horse three days ago. Riding with Sir Steffan and her brother she was gallantly carried off to Sir Steffan's house where she continues to recover. It is a tragedy that we hope will produce joy when she awakens...

Diana could tell her dreams were fading, becoming less real than they were before. Her father's face was beginning to blur and his voice now making less discernable words. Instead, she heard something else, stronger and louder. 

'Diana, my love please wake up.' she recognized that voice, one that broke with desperation.

'I can not live in a world knowing you are not in it, it is unnatural and so wrong, so I need you to wake up please.' he begged.

Diana wanted to so badly, she wanted to reach out and hold his hand to tell him she was ok but couldn't quite do so.

'I love you and if I could I would travel to the dark space between the stars to get to you if that is where you are. Bitte wach auf, meine liebe."

Diana tried to focus on her hand, one that she swore she could start to feel the warmth of another, to squeeze it to let him know she was here and not entirely gone.

When Diana could finally feel herself back in her body, the first thing she sensed was the warmth and breeze from outside. When she finally opened her eyes, she felt her head pound from the pain, the light sensitive to her eyes, and everything suddenly became overwhelming. When she could focus she saw her mother asleep with her book on the settee next to her.

"Mother." Diana croaked not used to her voice, her throat dry. She watched as she stirred looking over her eyes growing wide at her daughter.

"Diana!" she burst into tears getting into bed and collecting her in her arms.

"You scared me my little love." she sobbed into her hair stroking it as she squeezed her tighter.

Diana cried holding her as well. "I am alright." Diana said.

The door burst open and her brothers and Sir Steffan had halted staring at them before a burst of chaos erupted in the room. The doctor was called for, food was sent, and the maid was commanded to draw a bath. Her sisters joined her with their mother peppering her with endearments, kisses about how worried they all were.

With everyone fussing over her for the better part of the day, Diana received a clean bill of health with exception of bed rest for the next few days, her head hurt and bruised from the fall it did not seem serious harm was done to her mental faculties.

Soon most of everyone with the exception of her mother and a maid who assisted her into a bath. When she was younger, her mother had helped with combing her hair and in this instance, she assisted in brushing out her braids as she settled in the bubbly warm water of the copper tub.

"My dear, you must know how much you have scared me." her mother said her voice breaking again. 

"I know and I am sorry." Diana replied looking up at her.

"I am just so happy you are here talking to me." tears formed in her mother's eyes and Diana could not but help feel incredibly guilty for her recklessness.

"I also want you to know, that Dominic had told me you had made a deal with the Prince to get proposals." her mother said quietly.

Diana froze closing her eyes shamed at her deceit.