Chapter Seventeen

One of the best things about a Vincent family dinner was that no one could claim it was dull. The liveliness of the family kept any guests so entertained, that before they knew it dessert had been served and cleared.

Diana was grateful for the time spent quickly in the evening but as she had thought Prince Friedrich would return to the palace, it was decided by her brothers that they should go out for the course of the evening. This worried the females of the household, knowing that the Vincent Brothers would surely be up to no good despite having a royal Prince in the mix.

"Don't worry mother, we are just going to club and the Prince already knows what we are like." Dominic assured.

"This is highly inappropriate, you must promise me that you implore yourself to good behavior." Lady Vincent whispered nervously.

"As your favorite child, I am offended that you think me otherwise." he patted her hand which quickly pinched him instead.

"I mean it, Dominic I do not want you to scare the Prince away." she glared at her son.

"Mother!" Diana blushed as Dominic sent a weary look.

"Then I caution you to not get too attached to the idea." he replied cryptically. Diana looked at her brother wide-eyed who quickly left before Lady Vincent could question him further.

"What did he mean?" her mother asked frowning.

"He is just being audacious lately." Diana replied quickly not meeting her mother's gaze.

Her mother and the twins said their goodbyes and her mother ushered the girls upstairs while pulling her brothers away to bestow additional threats for bad behavior. The move was not unnoticed by Diana, as it offered a private audience with him.

"Please, do not let them persuade you into their schemes." Diana offered apologetically looking up shyly.

"I actually look quite forward to it, I have already been privy to their ways. I feel quite versed." he grinned.

Diana sighed, "I know but I fear they may be up to something and usually it's not met without a bit of trouble."

"Don't worry Diana." he whispered gently, she couldn't help but trust him. It was because of his warm smile she concluded, one that gives him the advantage to get his way.

After their goodbyes, Diana watched as they left the house seeing them disappear into the night heading down the street. As she walked upstairs to her room, she was relieved to find that her mother had already gone to bed leaving her alone. It was not going well in her room. Diana could not sleep as her thoughts would not let her find peace. It felt like she laid still in her bed for what surely felt like an agonizing eternity. Just as she was about to dive into the warm shroud of sleep, she was awoken by a commotion outside.

At first, she tried to ignore it but then curiosity got the best of her and she looked outside her window to find her brother and Prince Friedrich carrying Damien inside the house.

Diana cursed loudly quickly grabbing her robe, flinging her long hair to the side, and grabbing her candle to make her way down the stairs. She became acutely aware that her brother's idiocy was on display and barely sober.

"What on earth happened? You are aware of how loud you all are?" Diana whispered as they led Damien to Darcy's study.

Damien was placed carefully on the settee and with a quick glance in the light, she could see a bruise forming around his eye.

"Well?" Diana looked at her two brothers with fury.

"It was an accident, we went to see a boxing match and Damien got it in his head that he could take on the boxer." Dominic explained.