Chapter Sixteen

Diana looked at the breakfast table at the pile of letters in the tray that lay waiting to be read. "No Lady Whistledown this morning?" she asked the footman who shook his head.

"How odd." her mother replied as she collected the cards.

"How was the ball last night? I assume you and the Prince shared some time together and did not hide away somewhere?" Lady Vincent asked, raising a brow.

"I did both, a friend had gotten ill and I was obliged to help." Diana explained.

"Well, it seems the Prince still intends to honor his dinner invitation so preparations will be made most of the day and you will assist!" her mother said.

"Mother, you act as if I don't know how to prepare a dinner party." Diana groaned. She had been hoping to find time for herself; she did not find any solace when she returned home last night, staying up late writing her thoughts and feelings about the course of the ball. No one of which seemed to help her.

"You will handle this one Diana, after all, he is the Prince and I suspect you will need to start preparing...." her mother blinked.

Diana rubbed her temples, "He hasn't declared himself mother and it's only been a few weeks please don't apply for a marriage license."

"As a Vincent, Diana, you must prepare for all possibilities." her mother replied, moving to fill her plate.

"Now, you better take your fill, I suspect will be very busy in the course of the day and might have to make do with a meager lunch."

Diana's mood did not improve throughout the day as she felt herself ingrained into her mother's side overseeing the preparations for the royal coming to dinner. Diana had also spent the better part of the day convincing her mother to let the twins join as they relentlessly begged to be there.

"He must see us for who we are mother I refuse to keep pretense in my future family." Diana forced herself to say.

"Very well it would be good to see what our family is like and hope he is as brave as he says he is." Lady Vincent conceded.

That evening, the nerves got the better of Diana and she begged to be alone a little longer as she sat in her bath. The scalding water did nothing to ease the tension she felt in her shoulders. Diana didn't know what the Prince felt for her after she had certainly begun to realize what she felt for him. Diana found herself wondering of their interactions if they had more meaning that he had let on or if it was the sake of their pact.

"Diana! You must make haste and get dressed!" her mother called from the door.

Diana grimaced as she felt time closing in, like an unrelenting vice that loomed all around her. She would have to face the Prince and she was lost on how she would proceed.

The gown her mother had chosen for her was surprisingly simple: a cream-colored gown in dreamy chiffon with a black velvet choker.

With her family waiting for their guest in the parlor, they did not wait long. Prince Friedrich arrived exactly not too early nor too late. The arrival of the royal guest started as a burst of flurry in greetings and the twins practically latching on peppering him with questions. Diana was barely able to give him a proper greeting only sending him sympathetic looks as her sisters commandeered his attention. The Prince bore it all with grace even seemingly enjoying her lively family and the chaos that they brought. Lady Vincent attempted to rescue him, wisely placing the twins at the far end of the table, placing Diana next to him. Conversation flowed around them about everything and nothing, the Prince seemed to absorb it all with fascination.