Chapter Twenty Six

Dearest Reader,

It comes with no surprise that Prince Friedrich of Prussia and Fruelin Elsbeth Von Brandenburg have officially announced their engagement. The details of the engagement have been kept silent as it occurred during a private event held by those the Queen holds close...

Breakfast was the quietest it has ever been, the only sound heard was the careful scratches of silverware on the dishes. Worried looks were exchanged throughout the whole table as Diana made her way to her usual space at the table.

Diana had already read Lady Whistledown's announcement, she had already laid her in bed for a moment waiting for the horrid pain to descend but instead, she found herself numb.

"Diana." her mother approached bravely looking at her eldest daughter as she proceeded to eat her usual favorites for breakfast.

"I know mother." Diana replied maintaining calm in her cadence before she set her eating utensils down and looked at her family. "All, please don't be timid on my behalf. I know what has happened and I wish them both the best of luck."

Leveling her gaze, in hopes of proving she wasn't as fragile as they were treating her. She went back to her breakfast take things one moment at a time.

"If that is the case, sister. You should know we are likely invited to the engagement ball at the palace." Darcy replied as a pile of invitations arrived at the table.

"So quickly?" her mother exclaimed shocked.

Darcy nodded slowly. "Yes, I suppose they anticipated Lady Whistledown to break the news first.

"My dear, it is alright if you do not go." her mother offered.

Diana shook her head, "I shall go, it will be perfectly alright." Diana found her hand squeezing it.

Chatter slowly increased, talking about anything besides the announcement and the upcoming engagement ball that was sure to come.

****

Eloise and Penelope arrived at Guthners joining Diana at their usual spot. The ton was abuzz with the news of the engagement, finding that was all anyone was talking about. Rumors swirled about where the wedding would occur. If it was to be in London or back in Prussia where their respective families reside. There was even a rumor that the King and Queen of Prussia were set to come to London.

All of the talk about the royal couple, made the two friends worry about the eldest Miss Vincent, who seemed to be focused on the cool ice treat before her.

"Shall we perhaps walk, it's a beautiful day outside?" Eloise offered nervously, Diana had not spoken much as they chattered about the latest novel. Answering in simple short sentences with a practiced smile or two here and there.

"Yes! I agree." Penelope exclaimed standing up. Diana followed them, nearly rushing with her maid to catch up.

"Diana, are you alright?" Eloise asked suddenly.

Diana let out a sigh, "Of course, I'm not alright but that doesn't mean I will simper and cry in my room all day."

"That's settled then." Eloise raised a brow satisfied. "You are either the most composed young lady this season or you are on the brink of madness."

"Perhaps the latter but I am managing to keep at bay for now with my friends." Diana replied.

"Well, if you want we can take the long route or go straight to your room if you'd like to let it out." Penelope said.