3

"Ok, here's the piano that I'm guessing you will be using for the show." I said to Johnny, setting my beg down. I played some of the keys, making sure it worked okay. It looked kinda old. "Perfect!" I said.

"Ok.. so.. I remember some stuff," Johnny said nervously, "I remember all the notes. Just can't switch between them. You know what I mean?"

"Uh-huh!" I exclaimed. "When I first learned it took me a while to get used to that, too. If you don't practice for a while, you're bound to be a little rusty when starting again."

"Yep, this is what I wanna hear!" Moon stepped into the doorway. "Great communicating guys. Keep up the good work." And then he left.

I began laughing, and Johnny kinda did, too.

"He's a bit weird," I whispered.

"Yeah.. I can see that." Johnny replied. "He wants me to play this piano."

"Well.." I walked up to him. "I think he wants you to do that because he sees it in you. He believes in you! Which is why.." I shoved the music to him. "You should start practicing."

He took a seat, nervously scanning the music before starting to play. He played one note before screwing up. "eeek..." he mumbled.

I raised an eyebrow. "Yeah.. you'll need some improvement. Ms Crawley can probably help you better than I can. When she helped me out, she did a pretty good job."

Johnny nodded. "For now I'd prefer you help me. You seem nice."

I blushed, trying to hide my face. "Alright then, let's keep practicing!"

———————————————-

Hours after everyone had left, I was chilling in Moon's office, sipping a lemonade. I grabbed a chair and propped my feet up on his desk.

"So, any stories about that manager at your work today?" He asked me, fumbling with a few papers, organizing the drawers in his desk.

"Oh boy," I responded. "Well, today, he asked one of the girls, who's name is Jules, how old she is. She said she was 23, and then he said she should sign up for a dating app. He said she'd get 'a lot of guys.'"

Moon face palmed himself.

"I don't know.. he's just.. more weird than mean. Always making odd comments to us." I said.

"He's one of THOSE guys." Moon replied. "Some people are just so weird. And sometimes, there's nothing we can really do about it."

"Yeah!" I said as I sipped my lemonade. "And he threatens to fire all of us, a lot. Well, I haven't been threatened yet. But a lot of others have." Suddenly I checked the time on my watch. 11:35pm. "Shit," I mumbled.

"What?" Moon asked.

"I gotta get home.. I'll probably be able to see you tomorrow. But I like to be home before midnight."

"No problem," Moon replied as he tossed a few papers in his trash bin. "Need a ride?"

"No, its fine." I said. "You know I like walking."

"I know you do. Just stay safe!"

I waved goodbye as I walked out of his office. Sometimes I just really wished he was family. Same with Ms Crawley. I saw her sweeping the stage as I walked past it. "Bye, Ms Crawley!"

"Oh, bye sweetie," she looked up and waved at me as well.

When I was out of the theatre, I breathed in the nighttime air. One of the things I loved to do was walk home at night. The vibe was just different. It was better.

As I made it to my apartment building, I grabbed my keys from my bag and unlocked the door.

My apartment was small. Nothing special. A little too small for my liking, however. When you walked in, you were immediately in the kitchen, and then across from that was a couch and a TV. There was no dining table, however, there was a little counter in the corner, which I put stools at. That's what I called the table I ate at.

The bathroom and bedroom were connected. I walked into the bathroom, brushing my teeth before I changed into PJ's and laid down on my bed.

In that moment, my mind was focused on Johnny. I was excited to see him tomorrow. Hopefully we would become great friends. Maybe even more than..

Never mind. I got under my covers, and instead just put my mind to the whole competition. I was looking forward to sitting in the audience, watching everyone preform. Soon, I fell asleep.