8

I was back at my house a few hours after I helped Ms Crawley with some things around the theatre. Everyone that performed had not done too well. Meena was good, but she was still real shy.

I was cooking dinner for myself. I was making spaghetti, but I was making extra, in case I wanted it for lunch tomorrow or something. As I was cooking, I was dancing around listening to music, as I always was.

Suddenly, there were knocks at the door. I got kinda nervous, since I didn't know who it could be. No one was usually at my house at this time. It was 7:00 pm.

I opened the door just the slightest bit, only to see Johnny outside. He was drenched since it was raining outside.

"Johnny?"

"I um.. sorry.." he paced around at the door step. "Do you mind if I come in?"

I opened the door the whole way, backing away to let him through. "I can take your jacket for you."

He took his jacket off and handed it to me, looking around at my house. "Sorry for coming here.. so unexpectedly. Something happened, and.."

"Hey, its okay." I responded. "Right now I'm just confused on how you got my address."

"Got it from Moon," Johnny said, avoiding eye contact with me.

"Take a seat," I said, pointing to the couch. "You hungry? I'm making spaghetti, there's extra."

"Umm... yeah, that'd be nice. Thank you."

I got two bowls out and scooped some spaghetti into both of them. I handed him a bowl and also gave him a fork as I sat down next to him on the couch. "So tell me, what's up? What happened?"

"Well, ya know how I said I felt like I could trust you with anything..?" He asked.

I got kinda scared for a second. Did he not trust me anymore? Did something real bad happen? "Yeah." I answered.

"My dad's in jail," he blurted out, "because of me."

"What!?" I gasped, setting my bowl of spaghetti on the little table beside the couch. "Johnny, I'm sure it's not because of you.."

"Want to know what happened?"

"Sure."

"Ok, well," he said, taking a deep breath, "my dad and the gang were robbing from another bank.. they made me drive the car this time. I was supposed to wait there, next to the spot where they snuck in."

I listened carefully, trying to understand everything he was saying.

"I knew I had to rehearse, or else Mr Moon would probably talk about how bad my commitment was again.." he sighed. "So, I had not much time to get to the theatre as the gang was robbing the bank. That's why I was trying to get on stage as fast as I could. I needed to get it over with to get back there."

"Oh.." I said.

"Once I was done performing and chatting with you for a sec, I immediately drove off, going back to the spot I had to wait. But.. the road I was on had traffic since there was a car crash up ahead. I tried to back out of it, but there were already other cars surrounding me.." Johnny stopped talking.

"So.. the gang got caught by the police?" I asked.

"Yeah."

"Johnny, none of that is your fault." I said. "It's theirs, for robbing the bank in the first place. You're not the one to blame."

"That's not what my father says." Johnny replied. "I got to the jail as fast as I could afterwards, I had to talk to my dad.. you know. He was mad at me. Really mad. Said I could never succeed as being a singer."

"Johnny, you don't need your father to ruin your self esteem like that," I remarked. "That's not fair to you. Only you know what you are capable of. I, personally, KNOW you can succeed in singing. I know you'll do great in the show."

Johnny sighed and began to eat his spaghetti, a tear falling down his cheek. We ate in silence.

After we were done eating, I finally spoke up. "Do you need to.. spend the night?" I asked. "I don't mind if you do."

"I don't know if I can." He answered. Then, he paused. "You sure?"

"Positive." I said. "I really don't mind if you stay the night. It's better for you, anyway. Instead of going back to your home after what just happened to your dad and the rest of the gang today."

I took the dishes, washing them in the sink. I walked back to the couch and turned on the TV. "Got any favorite shows?" I asked.

"Umm.. not really." Johnny responded. "You can choose what to watch."

"You like Shameless?" I asked.

"Yeah.. I do actually." He replied.

I smiled and turned on the TV. We watched that for a little while.

Johnny spoke up. "Hey, Y/N, I don't mean to pry, but where's the rest of your family? I assumed you still lived with your parents since you're.. 19?"

I looked down at my feet. "Umm.."

Johnny seemed confused, not understanding that I didn't really have any family.

"I don't.. actually.. have a family," I stammered.

Johnny immediately raised his eyebrows. "Oh- oh my gosh Y/N I- I didn't mean to pry." He looked embarrassed.

"Oh, no, don't be." I replied. "I lost them a while back. Car crash. Killed my parents, I was left with a broken leg and a punctured lung. I'm better, now."

"Wow. I'm so, so sorry that happened to you, Y/N."

"It's fine. Like I said, it was a long time ago. I try to not think about it much anymore," I spoke, "I would be living with the rest of my family right now. But they all live across the country. And I don't think any of them really want me living with-"

Suddenly, Johnny's arm snaked around me. I looked up at him, and then slowly leaned into him.

My heart felt like it was pounding out my chest. He held me in his arms for.. I don't even know how long.. since, I fell asleep.