CHAPTER 20: MORE THAN SUPERFICIAL

happy 20th chapter yallllllll
comment stuff here and lemme know where u want the story to go, or your predictions as to where u think it's gonna go. I'm intrigued to see what yall r thinking
tw: sliiiiight smut at end of chapter
--------------------------------------------------

"I'm sorry if I messed up our friendship by telling you, but you deserved to know. It was important you know bec-"

"Because we were going to bring you on tour with us," Sam stated from the doorway, cutting Josh off, anger evident in his posture and stone-cold expression.

"Sam, I- I'm sorry, I had to tell her," Josh stuttered, caught off guard by the tall boy looming by the door.

"No, you didn't. You should've told me before you even thought about bringing her with us," Sam snapped, walking into the room. 

My mind was racing at a million miles an hour, not sure whether to worry about Sam being mad at me or to be concerned for Josh's safety. Better yet, I had no fucking idea what they meant by 'bringing me on tour with them.'

"Okay, okay. What the fuck do you mean you were going to bring me on tour with you?"

"It doesn't matter now, Bel. It's not happening anymore," Sam muttered.

"The fuck it's not," Josh scoffed, "She's out of a job because of you, Sam. Can you not be selfish for once in your god damn life and do her a fucking favor?" 

"Can you stop talking about me like I'm not here, please? I deserve to know what's happening, and I can make my own decisions, Sam," I demanded. The boys looked at each other like they had been keeping a secret for a while and I had stumbled upon it, uncertainty clawing at their features.

"Okay," Sam sighed. "After you lost your job, I felt really shitty. One day I was talking to our tour manager and it slipped out that we'd just lost our social media coordinator and our photographer, and without thinking, I mentioned you."

"You did what?"

"Well, I know you were an amazing photographer in high school and Lilli told me you did some social media stuff for NPR, so you're the first name that came to mind," He said, almost defending himself.

"Okay, so what'd your manager say?" I questioned.

"He wants to meet with you, but you pretty much have the job, if you want it," Josh chimed in. Sam looked mad, but not at me. It was almost as though he didn't want Josh to tell me I had the job, almost as if he didn't want me to come.

"I mean, thank you and all, but why wouldn't you guys just tell me?" I asked, shaking my head in disbelief.

"Cause' Sam doesn't want you to come," Josh said bluntly. My head snapped up, staring at the brunette boy across from me.

"Woah, woah. I never said that. I said that I was worried about you coming because of how fans react to any girl hanging around us," Sam explained.

"And he's right," Jake chimed in, walking in to sit with us, "Just think about how the fanbase treated you when the video of you and Sam fighting came out."

"Okay, but I'm a big girl. I can handle myself. You guys need to let me make my own decisions, especially when it comes to jobs," I said, eyeing Sam. The brothers all looked down in shame, knowing I was right.

"You're right," Sam said, practically reading my mind, "I just wanted to make sure you were going to be safe before I said anything about it."

"That's bullshit, Sam. You can play the hero all you want, but at the end of the day, you don't want her to come because you're scared we'll fuck again," Josh said, practically seething.

"Well, maybe if you hadn't told her you were in love with her I wouldn't be so worried!" Sam yelled, once again ignoring the fact that I was right there and could hear every word coming out of his mouth. 

"Jesus Christ, Sam! She's not into me! She wants you and you're throwing it all away because you're so fucking insecure!"

"I'm not insecure, I'm angry that my brother fucked the girl I've been in love with for years! Maybe if I could trust you, I wouldn't be so hesitant to bring her!" Sam yelled. 

At this point, the two of them were in a standing screaming match as Lilli, Jake, and I sat there and watched. I felt disgusted, I felt used, and I felt misled. The way they were talking about me like I wasn't there and borderline objectifying me had me on the brink of tears.

"Okay, I'm fucking done. When you're done being assholes, tell your manager to email me," I stated, grabbing my shit and walking out of the room. I made my way to the door only to be stopped by Sam calling after me. I didn't bother turning around, as I was far too angry to face him. I turned the doorknob and stepped out of the house, but only to be stopped by Sam once more. 

"Bella, please," he said, delicately grasping my wrist to get my attention. 

"What, Sam?" I snapped, finally turning around. He removed his hand from my arm and moved back, inviting me back inside but I stayed where I was, not wanting to talk to him.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean for any of that to come off bad, I just... I dunno... you mean too much to me and I'm scared of you getting hurt," he admitted.

"You can't say that shit when two minutes ago you were talking about me like I'm an object, like some slut who gives herself to anyone. You treat me like nothing more than a girl you all can use at your own disposal, but then you talk about me like you're so in love with me. Your fucking mind games are confusing, Sam!" I exclaimed, the long pent-up anger of mine and Sam's platonic relationship finally escaping my mind.

"But I am in love with you," he mumbled.

"Prove it, cause' right now, it really doesn't seem like it," I sighed.

 "I think you're the first person I've ever loved, and I don't know how to deal with that," he whispered, barely audible as a bittersweet blush painted his cheeks.

"Sam, you can't do tha-"

He grabbed me by the waist then, crashing his lips into mine without hesitation.

"Sam, wha-"

"Bella, I love you, okay?" He huffed between kisses. "I'm not going to let you go, and I'll do whatever you want me to do to prove it."

His words meant nothing at that moment. I wanted him so bad that I couldn't even focus on what he was saying, even if it was the conversation I'd been waiting for us to have for months. I had never felt such a need for a person before. I wasn't sure if it was my need for his relentless love or my attraction to him, but I didn't care. 

I grabbed his hand and pulled him down the hall, not another thought in my mind. The second the door to his bedroom shut behind us and his fingers were exploring my body, every doubt left my mind.

For the first time in what felt like forever, I knew what I wanted, and it was him.