II│INTERLUDE II: RELATIONSHIPS III

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

❛ ᴛʜᴇ ᴘ. ᴘᴀɴ ᴇғғᴇᴄᴛ​​​​​​​​​​. ❜ ° . ༄
- ͙۪۪˚ ▎❛ 𝐈𝐍𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐋𝐔𝐃𝐄 𝐈𝐈 ❜ ▎˚ ͙۪۪̥◌
»»————- ꒰ ʀᴇʟᴀᴛɪᴏɴsʜɪᴘs ɪɪɪ ꒱

❝ I HEARD A RUMOR. . . ❞

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

Overall, the human brain is the most complex object known in the universe— according to itself, that is. It can interpret information and embody the essence of the mind and soul. Apart from the heart, it is what determines the uniqueness of individuals. Outer appearances matter as well, of course, but the differences in core being largely come from what we can't see.

Our minds allow us to communicate with others through intelligent (or, for some, not-so-intelligent) thought. It is how we form connections with others rather than live in a world alone. For the most part, this ability is seen as just short of a miracle: two perfect strangers can meet in passing, only to form a lifelong connection if the circumstances allow. It's not always this simple, but this is the basic understanding.

Like with all things, there is the reverse side. Forming connections can lead to pain, heartbreak and betrayal. Sometimes friendships don't last as long as we'd like them to. Sometimes it would've been better if certain relationships never formed at all. As powerful and extraordinary as imagination can be, it is also susceptible to manipulation. Even the strongest-willed mind can be malleable in some way, whether it be to horror genres, white lies, flattery, the list goes on.

There are, obviously, defenses one can put in place to fight against such outside influence. Meditation is often a recommended practice for mental health. Pouring oneself into a peaceful hobby— such as art in any type of craft (but, perhaps in this instance, we will use painting as an example)— can be equally beneficial. Having a strong familial support system can also help fortify yourself against negative influences.

However, be warned: when you try to fight against these external forces, they will fight back— and twice as hard. They will try to wear away at your protective barriers with words or actions over and over again in the hopes that you will falter. But you must not. 

☂︎ ☂︎ ☂︎

Number Three and Number Eight of The Umbrella Academy hadn't always been at odds with each other. While they'd never been close, they'd been amiable and even sisterly. In the beginning, they had learned, trained and played together. This was no surprise on Number Eight's part; she had always been the friendliest and most easy-going of her siblings. Number Three could be standoffish and condescending at times but was, on the whole, compatible with her siblings as well. It was only when their powers began to develop that things went downhill very, very fast.

Now, there is something about Number Three that you must understand: in the very early days, at least, she had never meant anyone any harm. Like all of her siblings, she was selfish in some way, but hers was the most obvious. She wanted the best: the biggest cookie, the cleanest uniform, the favoritism of Number One— and she'd do anything to get it. That's where her Rumors came in.

From a young age, she convinced herself that if anyone had her power, they'd do exactly the same. Who wouldn't want the bigger half of a sandwich? Who wouldn't want to spare themselves from a group punishment? She did her best to ignore the nasty looks her siblings gave her and instead held her head up high. It wasn't her fault that she could take care of herself.

Where Eight had her art, Three had nothing. She had no hobbies except girlish things like painting her nails and reading magazines. Where Eight had connections to all of her siblings, Three only had One— and then she'd be alone if something happened to him. Where Eight spent her days reading fantasy novels and filling her head with dreams, Three did her best to live hers because anything was better than facing the reality of their hellish home.