5│. . .IT'LL BE FUN, THEY SAID

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

❛ ᴛʜᴇ ᴘ. ᴘᴀɴ ᴇғғᴇᴄᴛ​​​​​​​​​​. ❜ ° . ༄
- ͙۪۪˚   ▎❛ 𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄 ❜   ▎˚ ͙۪۪̥◌
»»————- ꒰ . . .ɪᴛ'ʟʟ ʙᴇ ғᴜɴ,
ᴛʜᴇʏ sᴀɪᴅ ꒱

❝ [ FAMILY ] CAN BE A
FOUNDATION OF SELF AS
MUCH AS IT CAN BE A BURDEN ❞

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

Alexa's irritation with Five didn't last long. This was to be expected because they hardly ever fought and when they did, she was always quick to forgive him. (If she waited until he apologized, she'd still be waiting for an "I'm sorry" from their first argument.) Regardless, she pretended like she was still mad at him as she gazed out the window at the passing scenery. The two men sat up front; Klaus was finishing the last of his drink from a pitstop they'd passed awhile ago and Five was relaxing in the passenger's seat.

"This actually isn't so terrible," he remarked.

"See? Told you."

"Come to think of it, my whole life I've been under the gun. Missions for Dad, working for The Commission, trying to survive the apocalypse. I was always looking around every corner just waiting for the other shoe to drop. It's nice to just breathe. I mean, I'll even finally get to date my girlfriend in the way I've always wanted to." He turned around to see what effect his words had on the blonde that sat diagonally from him. While she didn't turn her gaze away from the green fields that were rushing by outside, he could see the corners of her lips quirk up as she fought the urge to smile.

"Good for you, man. Retirement is suiting you," Klaus said supportively. "Now, normally I'd subject you to my whole 'take care of my little sister' spiel that I use on all of her boyfriends but I already forcefully separated you two so I think I'll spare you from that particular lecture."

"Klaus!" Alexa exclaimed as she finally dropped her "vow of silence." "I haven't had any other boyfriends. And if I had, I certainly wouldn't have taken them to meet you."

Her brother gasped with mock offence. "Aren't I your favorite brother? How could you not introduce me to anyone outside of our family?"

She grinned slightly and leaned forward in her seat. "Sorry to burst your bubble but the title of favorite brother goes to Diego. Also, I've only ever had one friend that didn't share the last name of Hargreeves. You haven't missed much."

Klaus pouted with lighthearted disappointment as Five turned to face her. (He'd decided that it was best to ignore his brother's "generosity.") "Who do you know that isn't a Hargreeves?"

Alexa huffed indignantly. "Excuse you, but I happen to be the only one out of the eight of us who actually attended college. I know a lot more people than you think; I was only friends with one of them. His name was— is, since he's probably alive in this timeline— Dylan Miller. He asked me out on the first day of the term but I turned him down. We became friends after that."

It was surreal to think about the man who'd once been her best friend— who'd been there for her when no one else had been. With everything that had happened since Five had returned, she'd only spoken to him once in an attempt to warn him about the impending (first) apocalypse. Now that she had the body of a teen. . . she wondered how unnerved he would be if she showed up on his doorstep. The thought made her smile.

At her answer, Five shifted so that he sat properly in his seat again and focused his gaze out the window. The blonde watched his features carefully and couldn't help but feel a little pleased when she saw his jaw tense with irritation. She unbuckled her seatbelt and slid towards his side of the car. Leaning forward on her seat, she pressed a gentle kiss to his cheek and murmured, "you don't have anything to be jealous of, Fi. There never was— and never would be— anything romantic between us. I love you, don't I?"