6│THE ( 10 SECOND ) RETIREMENT

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

❛ ᴛʜᴇ ᴘ. ᴘᴀɴ ᴇғғᴇᴄᴛ​​​​​​​​​​. ❜ ° . ༄
- ͙۪۪˚   ▎❛ 𝐒𝐈𝐗 ❜   ▎˚ ͙۪۪̥◌
»»————- ꒰ ᴛʜᴇ ( 𝟷𝟶 sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ )
ʀᴇᴛɪʀᴇᴍᴇɴᴛ ꒱

OOH! COWS! ❞

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

Five Hargreeves had never been more embarrassed in his life. I loke you. Who said that? Only idiots— that's who. He trailed behind Alexa as they made their way back to the car and kept his eyes on the gravel path. He'd always been prepared for everything. (Except getting stuck in the apocalypse but he didn't count that.) Every exam, every practice fight with his siblings, he'd always passed with flying colors. Of course on one of the only things that mattered he failed miserably.

The car ride was silent save for the radio that played quietly as Klaus drove the rest of the way to the address he'd been aiming for. Alexa sat in the front this time so that he could sulk in back until his bruised ego could recover. I loke you. The words echoed mockingly in his mind as they taunted his complete disaster of a confession. He really should've expected this, though: he hadn't been ready to say the words only two days ago so why should they come easily now?

In all honesty, he really didn't need to beat himself up for his blunder as much as he was; Alexa found the whole situation rather endearing. She'd been confused at first and had mumbled out a 'thanks' but as they got back on the road, the sentiment he'd been trying to convey began to make sense. She couldn't help the shy blush that rose to her face or the adoring smile the curled on her lips. To hide her expression from her brother, she turned to look out the window as the words repeated themselves in her mind— except, unlike Five, she treasured them rather than cringed at them.

Soon enough, the paved road gave way to a gravel one which turned into packed dirt. A wooden fence that edged around the grassy field followed them until it turned the corner at the adjacent road to continue around the enclosure. People along the sides; the women wore long dresses with aprons while the men wore suits and tall hats. Klaus pulled to a stop outside one of the main buildings and the teens climbed out of the car before the trio took a look around.

"Son of a bitch! Klaus is Amish," Five exclaimed.

"This explains everything."

Alexa's gaze caught on the animals in the pen. "Ooh! Cows!"

She left the men without another thought and ran over to where the large creatures lowed on the other side of the fence. She placed her hands on the wooden slats and leaned towards them with wide-eyed interest. After a moment, she reached down to pull up some grass before she held it out across the gap on a flat palm. The cow's bovine eyes followed the movement as it blinked at her dumbly.

The blonde held her breath until its neck stretched to take the offered food. Its lips were soft and ticklish as they brushed against her palm. Once it had taken the grass into its mouth, the cow's head retreated back to its side of the fence. The animal's jaw moved slowly as it ground up the grass and Alexa's attention stayed on the creature the whole time. She'd always liked animals and had wanted a pet when she'd gotten older, but her apartment had had a strict no-animal rule.

"Ready to go?"

She turned to see that Five had joined her. He'd slid his hands into his pockets and was watching her with a faintly amused expression. His posture was relaxed and even a little slouched as he waited for her answer. Alexa tilted her head slightly. "Go? What about Klaus?"

"This is something that he has to do on his own. We'll wait for him at the bottom of the hill," the boy explained. Appeased by his reasoning, she dropped the subject and abruptly leapt forward to grasp his wrist. While he didn't mind that initially, the sharp tug she gave him towards the fence made him wary. "What are you doing, Lexa?"