1

~Spotify Song Choice for Chapter 1: Pray - Sam Smith (playlist can be found on Spotify by looking up the book title or clicking the attached link to this chapter)~

~Somewhere in a small imaginary country that is between the continents of Africa and Asia in a late alternate time period~

The little girl watched as the young boy was kneeling in front of the barracks. She heard the rumors that a little kid made the lead gaffer angry. Her interest was instantly peaked for who dared to anger such a man? She looked down at the money in her hand and was reminded that she only has fifteen more minutes until she was supposed to be back with the firewood for tonight. If she was caught wandering off again, she would be put in the hole with no food. Even though the hole made her shudder, she couldn't help as her curiosity pushed her to see a glimpse of the little boy's face.

However, the little boy faced away from her as he kneeled. The sudden thunder shook her body and made her shriek, catching the little brown boy's attention. They made eye contact and her curiosity was extinguished and ignited all at the same time. The boy looked upon the girl in wonder as he has never seen her before. A girl as pretty as her would have surely been made property to the authority. She would have been put to training on how to be a dutiful woman that fulfills the whims of whoever bids highest for her. He wanted to question her but saw her shrink back in fear as she looked in his direction but passed him. His head whips forward to see the lead gaffer again but this time fueled by booze and hard liquor.

The man looked down at the boy with hatred. How could a little kid question his authority like that and in front of the commander no less? The lead gaffer looked at the remaining liquor in the bottle and then at the kneeling little boy.

"Have you ever drank before?" the lead gaffer mumbles.

The boy who is too afraid to speak in fear that it might anger the gaffer just shakes his head no. The little boy silently prays in his head that the little girl was smart enough to leave by now and to not be seen by the gaffer. Unfortunately, the little girl was frozen in fear as she hid in the bushes. The fear was not for her own life but for the boy she had made eye contact with. The boy in front of her that has to deal with the ill temperament of the gaffer all on his own.