5

~Spotify Song Choice for Chapter 5: Mama Saturn Galactica - Tanerelle

~Spotify Song Choice for Chapter 5: Mama Saturn Galactica - Tanerelle. (Playlist can be found by typing the book title into Spotify or by using the attached link to this chapter.)~

Alai didn't know what to do with herself. She paced the commander's room for what felt like hours. After the governess punished Raphael to the point of passing out, Alai took the governess's warning more seriously. She cut off contact with Raphael completely. To the point of going out of her way to avoid him. She knew that he was hurt by her actions but she could only hope that he understood why.

She snuck out of her quarters and into the commander's bedroom for a chance to talk with him before his trip outside the kingdom. She knew that her behavior was erratic and improper but she felt as though she was dangling from a cliff and at this point, she didn't care whose hand pulled her to safety.

She stopped her pacing when she heard the knob on the door twist and the lock become undone. In walks the commander with exhaustion written all over his face. For a second she contemplates apologizing and leaving but then the commander looks at her in shock that she's in his room and she realizes she has to explain herself.

"What are you doing in here Alai?" The commander says closing the door behind him swiftly to make sure no one sees Alai in his room.

"I needed to talk to you, in private. You already know the walls in this mansion have eyes and ears." Alai says almost in a whisper.

"After that stunt, you pulled with that boy, and your lying to the governess, you should be on your best behavior right now." The commander stresses.

"Neja please" Alai pleads. "I'm on the verge of giving up here. I feel suffocated with guilt. Raphael could have been killed because of me." Alai says walking closer to the commander to make sure he truly hears her.

"You know the rules we have to follow Alai. We don't have the power to do as we please." The commander tries to reason with Alai but her frustration only increases.

"We? You're the crown prince who earned his title of merit at 16. The youngest ever and you don't have the power to choose your own bride." Alai's voice has long left the volume of a whisper. She knows she's being unfair right now as she has learned of Neja's fear of his father a long time ago. They have had many conversations similar to this one now. However, Alai has never had someone she cared about like Raphael when those conversations took place.