10

~Spotify Song Choice for Chapter 10 Eve - Precious  Pepala(playlist can be found on Spotify by looking up the book title on spotify or clicking the attached link to this chapter)~

~Spotify Song Choice for Chapter 10 Eve - Precious Pepala(playlist can be found on Spotify by looking up the book title on spotify or clicking the attached link to this chapter)~

Sitting at the small circular wooden table across from my pacing mother made me wonder if coming to visit her was the right choice. I'm glad I got to see her again but I was expecting a more enthusiastic response from her. After she calmed down from greeting me at the door, I thought that was the end of her worries. However, she only got upset again when I told her about how I managed to sneak away to see her.

"and you're sure that no one saw you come here?" Sighing at her redundant question, I shake my head yes.

"I'm sure" I chip at the nail paint on my nails. Looking down at my hands I noticed this has become an unruly habit. One that The Governess will surely reprimand me for. The baby blue paint has lost its glossy finish and I'm saddened once again. Not because the quality of the manicure has dwindled but because of the realization of the color. Baby blue is The Commander's favorite color. I would have preferred a nude color that complimented my chestnut skin tone better.

"Alai!" the shout from my mother has me straightening my posture and snapping my eyes to hers.

"Are you even listening?" She asks

"Yes?" a clear lie on my part but telling the truth in this moment felt disrespectful.

Sighing and finally taking the seat across from me, she asks, "I'm happy to see you. However, you know the rules. If you get caught being here, I can't protect you." When her voice trailed off at the end of her words, the guilt started to set in.

"I know." The volume of my voice was no louder than hers. "Mom...I feel lost. I've been fighting and waiting for change for so long and it feels like everyone has given up on me."

"Trust me, darling, you're not alone. However, you can't let your emotions guide your actions. " She paused and grabbed my hand from across the table and I leaned into her touch.