8

~Spotify Song Choice for Chapter 5: The King's Affirmation - Iniko

~Spotify Song Choice for Chapter 5: The King's Affirmation - Iniko. (Playlist can be found by typing the book title into Spotify or by using the attached link to this chapter.)~

After I departed with Kayleen, I bid my goodbyes to my father before continuing my journey to see my mother. Neja is covering for me by telling people we are out on a date, so I have until it gets dark to be with my mother. I try to recall where my mom lives but the memories are hazy. I haven't been in my childhood home since I was 2. Any other times I've seen the house was when my father was alive and he would escort me out on outings. That was when I was 6.  I know it was in the heart of the civilian town, away from noblemen or royal eyes. It was a cottage style with beautiful angel trumpet flowers grown in its garden. I'm pretty sure my mom still very much gardens as it was a tradition with the women in my family to grow the plant.

As I get closer to the center of the town, I can feel sweat coating my hands and I have to refrain from wiping my hands on my dress. The people in town work away bartering and forging ahead. I see children playing and running around in youthful bliss and I force myself to look away to stop my jealous thoughts. 

I stop before the cottage-style home and it doesn't look as vivid as it did in my memories. The wood paneling is worn out and the porch steps have cracks in them. The mini garden isn't as full as it once was and the grass lawn is patchy. However, the angel trumpet flowers on display reassure me that I'm at the right house.

I walk up to the door and swallow the nerves that I have built up. I knock on the door just like how I used to do when I was young. Three knocks, a kick, and finally, "Mom" I yell.

I wait and pray that she answers the door. I pray that she's home. I don't think I will have another opportunity like this again. After some shuffling behind the door, it finally opens.

A woman who I instantly recognize as my mom opens the door. A smile graces my face at the sight of her. She still looks the same besides a few more wrinkles on her face. 

"Mom" I cry. I instantly hug her and bury my face in her chest. 

She pulls me off her, "Alai! What are you doing here? You're not supposed to be here." She shakes my shoulders but I can't bring myself to answer her. Why isn't she relieved to see me? This isn't how I envisioned this meeting going.