Photo Op

There wasn't a bone in his body that didn't scream "this is wrong" looking at Jay "sleeping" inside that weird tube. There wasn't a bone in his body that didn't scream "wait until you know more before you get him out" but the difference between the two: Cole wasn't going to listen to the latter.

A hand was placed on his shoulder but he didn't turn to see who it was, eyes still locked on Jay.

A soft voice spoke, "Cole why don't you go get some rest?"

Now it was time for him to turn his head.

"Nya? When did you get here?" He asked now realizing they were the only ones in the room.

"I arrived got here a while ago Cole, everyone decided it would be best to wait until tomorrow to help Jay"

Cole stayed silent. A while ago how long ago? He hadn't been sitting here that long had he?

The water master sighed "everyone went to bed quite some time ago I think it's best you did the same. You're tired Cole both mentally and physically."

Cole let out a half hearted laugh. "Okay, but what if..."

"Just rest Cole. Tomorrow's a big day and we all need to be ready for anything. Jay isn't going anywhere this time. Now go." Nya interjected with the 'this isn't a suggestion' tone Cole knew all to well.

Defeated the earth ninja trudged back to his room.

They had separate rooms in the monastery although sometimes Cole preferred sleeping in the cabin on the bounty surrounded by his family. Sure they annoyed each other but at the end of the day there was something so filling about going to bed surrounded by the soft breath of the people you loved.

The monastery had always been quiet at night but with the knowledge Jay was in the basement in some tube in some sort of coma it didn't just feel quiet, it felt empty.

He sat down on his bed it was soft and had like two blankets but it was his. Cole never liked his room being to loud in terms of decor but Jay had insisted.

               ---------------------------------------

"C'mon Cole your room looks as boring as a pile of rocks!" Jay whined sprawled out across Cole's bed.

"Yeah so what? I control rocks maybe I think it's a fitting aesthetic Zaptrap." Cole replied digging for some snacks in his closet.

"Aw c'mon boulderbrain seriously you've been living here for, what? Four years? Even Zane has a picture wall in his room!"

"Well maybe I like not having anything in my room. Ever think about that?"

"Nope, unacceptable!" Jay said shooting up and shaking his head. "C'mon rocks for brains we're going shopping!"

Cole was revolted by the idea of shopping but couldn't find it in him to say no to Jay and so a five hour shopping trip had commenced.

When what Cole had described as "five hours of colorful torture" was over they had approximately twelve bags from various different hardware and department stores scattered across the ground.

For the next hour and a half Cole happily listened to Jay jabber excitedly about nothing in particular while they set up all the little trinkets and doodads they had found.

In the end there were a few posters hanging on the walls from some bands Cole enjoyed, a bedside table that was now home to several sketchbooks and various art supplies, a rack and table for his records and record player, a snack bucket, some framed pictures of the team and Cole's bio family, and the statement piece. A red and orange lava lamp that cast the room in a citrus colored glow.

Cole had originally objected to getting the lava lamp at first to which Jay had responded with the, all too witty, "to bad already in the cart". Somehow though Jay managed to shove that lava lamp straight into his heart because now he could barely stand seeing it turned off.

"Whatcha got there?" Cole asked peeking over Jay's shoulder.

"It's a picture of us I took after the whole day of the departed incident!"

"What? I don't remember taking a picture?" Cole said picking his brain for any recollection of the supposed photo op.

Jay's face flushed. "Ummm that's maybe because I uh never told you a was taking a picture..."

Cole looked at Jay deadpanning. "What?" He took a look at the photo. It looked pretty average more like Jay had taken a selfie and managed to have Cole in the background.

The blue ninja just looked away angrily "Yeah yeah yeah okay so maybe it's a little weird but I didn't want to seem all sappy! What was I supposed to say? 'oh hey Cole could I get a picture of us together just in case because I'm terrified I might not get that chance ever again?" He said in a demeaning tone.

"Jay-" Cole started reaching a hand out for him.

"Just forget it it's stupid" Jay grumbled plopping down on the bed and scrubbing at his eyes.

"Hey it's not stupid bluebell, you could've just asked though... This isn't just about a picture though is it?" Cole knew Jay was a photography nut, Cole also knew that Jay had a panic attack after realizing that as a ghost he didn't show up in pictures anymore and nobody could get a reason for why.

"Look Cole, I didn't have a lot of pictures of us when we first got on the team together but then I had even less of us together after our stupid  fight over Nya. Then we made up though so everything was okay! But- but then... Then you got turned into a ghost and I already thought I lost you then but then I tried taking a picture of you as a ghost and you... And you didn't show up. It was like I lost you all over again! If- if you didn't show up on a picture then there really was nothing left to show you were really still here. Cole do you even know how goddamn scary that is? I had nothing to show you were still here and almost nothing to show you even were here in the first place. And then on the day of the departed I almost forgot you like really forgot you and if we really did end up forgetting you I wouldn't even have had a picture to remind me of you it would've been like you hadn't existed in the first place and... And I'd have no one to blame for that but myself."

Cole just stared at his blue friend as he sat there staring at the ground like it had personally wronged him.

Cole plopped down next to the blue ninja and lightly shoved his shoulder.

"Hey, you can't get rid of me that easy sparky. One way or another I'm here now. And surprise! I do exist, have for a while now if I recall correctly. I don't think we need a picture to prove that. 'Sides," he threw his arm around Jay and looked him dead in his deep blue eyes. "You couldn't forget me forever if you tried."

Jay looked at Cole with wide eyes his face turned a rosy red color and Cole released him.

Cole leaned and got up with a grunt.

"But, I'll accept your photo if it really makes you feel better."

Jay smiled turning his head away from Cole and resting his chin on his hand. He let out a chuckle.

"Nah, seems kinda pointless now. Doesn't really make sense anymore now. that I think about it. Y'know since I'll always be right down the hallway."

               ---------------------------------------

Cole's eyes stung. Whether that was out of sadness or because he was tired was beyond him. One way or another Jay was wrong, he wasn't always gonna be down the hallway, and he might never be again. And so Cole laid there basked in the citrus light of a lava lamp one thought replaying in his mind:

'He should've taken that photo when he had the chance.'