18:59PM

Guilt was an emotion I'd become far too accustomed to

It had wrecked me enough during the night when I'd found myself leaving Cassie behind, and in the space of these last few hours when I'd seen both her and Theo again, it had felt like my half-truths and omission of key information was starting to catch up with me. Like I had said to Cassie, running from my own problems wouldn't solve anything, but that didn't mean I wanted to face them any sooner.

One fire burns out another's burning. One pain is lessened by another's anguish, but I could only allow myself to be consumed by the pain that accompanied knowing Cassie for a matter of time; eventually my life as it had been without her was bound to catch up. I could go on and pretend as though I wouldn't have to face my own issues, but Fate seemed to be intent on showing me that I couldn't avoid the looming repercussions to my actions.

I already knew what Tabitha was going to say when she knocked on the door asking if she could come in, and who would be inevitably entering in after her.

"Theo's here to see you, Will."

I nodded sombrely, deliberating over the repercussions of denying my brother access to see me and whether or not I could afford upsetting him any further. In a strange state of physical numbness, it felt perplexingly refreshing to finally be able to breathe without feeling like my lungs were ablaze and moving without my bones aching from within. My body felt clear unlike my mind, hence why Tabitha's words barely seemed to register until she called my name again.

"Is something wrong, Will?" She was quick to question, making her way over to me from the door as I shook my head, smiling slightly at her futile fretting. "Has the pain gotten worse or-"

"I feel better Tabitha, it's fine," I assured, watching her shoulders drop slightly as she let out a small sigh of relief. "What was it that you were going to say?"

"I managed to get some news on Cassie," Tabitha began, pausing as she hesitated, her expression softening before she continued. "She's... she's okay Will, but she's not conscious. She did lose quite a bit of blood, but not enough for her to need a blood transfusion, so... once she wakes up then we'll know the extent of her injuries."

I nodded slowly, feeling my chest constrict and the numbing ache in my heart worsen as I sighed, sitting up in my bed while being mindful of the IV drip still attached to my arm. Her words weren't the least bit reassuring, but I was grateful to at least have some insight on how Cassie was. "Do you know what room she's in?"

"So you can leave your room again? Not a chance," Tabitha warned, a teasing edge to her tone despite her serious expression. "If last time left you like this, I dread to think what would happen the next time you ran off to rescue the damsel in distress."

I rolled my eyes, about to send a retort her way when another voice beat me to it. "If anyone's a damsel in distress, it's Will actually," Theo cut in, strolling into the room with his hands in his pockets, sending Tabitha a grin as she barely seemed surprised that he had entered the room, used to our interactions by now.