》love and war

"Name and age?" It was that question that ended up getting her into so much blasted trouble, well not at first. Emily Stafford had nothing to lose, she had nothing to her name, nothing to inherit, after all even if she was born into the gentry her two older brothers cast long shadows, so when the war came she stood in front of a mirror, a pair of shears in hand and chunk by chunk her long brown hair retreated upwards, from her waist, to her shoulders and with her best abilities came a close cut and as she stood in line for recruitment her heart raced all the while. She was twenty-four, but her height and lack of muscle would make it impossible to pass as a man of the same age so when her time came and she stood in front of the military officer she held her chin high and used the voice she had practiced so many times.

"Vernon Stafford, 18." The officer glanced up and grunted, seemingly in disapproval of the small man that wished to fight, but nonetheless he stamped the card and handed it back to Emily. "Be here at 0600 soldier, not a minute later, your regiment ships out tomorrow for camp." She nodded.

"Yes, sir." Weeks passed without incident, her wit made her a favorite of the rest of the men but Major Stewart eyed the man, glancing warily back to Captain Nicholls. Emily could ride well, her fencing and sword skills improved greatly but by no way was she the worst in the camp, not a suspicion was raised though on a handful of occasions she foolishly could not maintain the deepness of the masculine guise that concealed her true voice, and there were only a few slip ups where she had not responded to the name that she had given the officer.

Today they would practice the Calvary charge, the dress blue uniform was heavy and uncomfortable, the binding underneath only made the August heat worst. "Corporal Stafford," Major Stewart trotted up on Topthorn next to her, still under the impression that her name was Vernon. "Captain Nicholls and I have noticed that you excel at riding, you will be in the front despite your -ranking. Is that clear Corporal?" She patted the neck of her own horse, a brilliant Hackney gelding, before looking back at the Major.

"Yes, sir. Thank you, sir." With a curt nod he was off. With a glance around the stable she pulled a commandeered apple acquired from the mess hall from her sleeve, neighing with approval the horse happily munched the piece of fruit she held within her hand. "Atta boy, Eragon."

"You should not spoil him," the voice did not belong to the Major, nor was it anyone she had spoken with, but in the next stall was the Captain, tending to his horse, Joey, a selection of sugar cubes in his hand. Emily laughed, trying her best to keep her voice low as she discarded the core of the fruit.

"Excuse my boldness Captain Nicholls, but is that not a hypocritical thing to say?" She held her tongue, partially regretting the words but when he leaned over the stall offering her own Eragon a cube, all doubts were gone, he was much too kind for a war, and she was much too innocent for what lie ahead.

"I see why the men speak so highly of you Corporal," she watched as he threw a saddle on Joey's back, quickly securing it in place before mounting, he sat tall and proud on the steed. "I look forward to seeing your skills when we charge. Good day for now Stafford." She sighed as he rode out, watching the Captain until Eragon nudged her shoulder.

"He is something else isn't he boy?" As if agreeing the horse stamped his hoof on the dirt floor, she shook her head, now was not the time to become lovesick but even with those thoughts she continued readying her mount for the days practice.

The charge was naught even two days ago and in the morn they would be shipping over to France, her nerves were finally acting up as she packed her duffel, stuffing the issued belongings within. "Corporal Stafford," she recognized the soft voice immediately and came from her tent to see the Captain standing, his hands clasped behind his back, blue eyes piercing through hers. "I would like to have words with you, if you would please come with me." She obeyed, her heart thumping twice as fast in her chest, her palms growing slick with sweat, a lump formed in her throat, the wooden building that he resided in was small, minimally furnished but he motioned for her to sit at the chair in front of the simple wooden desk.