》never you

He was mad.

You didn't even have to look over to know he was angry. Despite the disappointment you felt in yourself at his rage, you couldn't regret your actions. You were at war- whether Logan cared to admit it or not. "You're unbelievable," you growled.

Logan held up his hand, his jaw clenching and unclenching as he paced. "We're not going through this again," he said.

You pushed yourself up off the bed, standing on wobbly legs, "We have the responsibility to help them, they're mutants now. Like us." Carefully, you reached out for him but he took a step back. "Logan."

"I said no!" He roared, "Look at what just happened!" He pointed to your leg, it was wrapped in linens torn from old bedsheets, blood still seeped through. Caliban had barely managed to pull the slug out and his stitching job was less than perfect. It would be another scar added to all the others that littered your body.

You shook your head with an unyielding resolve, Transigen had to be stopped. "We can plan better, we can try again," you bit down on your bottom lip, just thinking about what the monstrous lab corporation was doing made you feel sick. "They're just kids," you start again, despite the way Logan paced back and forth, his irritation palpable. "We have to get them out of there."

"They're trained weapons," he finally gritted out, not fancying the idea of letting over twenty dangerous mutants roam the world, even if they were kids.

"Like I was," you said in a low voice, just above a whisper. He stopped in his tracks to look at you. The memories still haunted you, the experiments, the injections, the training, and the trials. He had found you at Alkali Lake, strapped to a table to be left as the dam collapsed, lethargic and practically dead already. You remembered waking up in his arms and waking up again several more times to see him watching over you. Curious and cautious. "You saved me all those years ago," you glanced down at your feet and felt the warm tears beginning to slide down your cheeks. "You didn't have to but you did."

Silence hung in the air for a moment, uneasy and tense, before a warm pair of scarred and bandaged hands come to rest on your cheeks. His thumbs wiped away the tears. "Look at me," he commanded, softly, tenderly. You turned your gaze back up to him, almost frowning at age had finally begun taking its toll on him. It was the adamantium attached to his skeleton, a slow poison that had started eating away at his regenerative ability and he was too stubborn to do anything about it.

A sigh so soft you almost didn't hear it left his lips, the pads of his fingers barely brushing against the warmth of your palm. "I can't lose you." He choked out, his words quieter than any he dared to speak since you'd run off.

Logan leaned down toward you, breathing you in as he rested his head against your shoulder. It was a gentle gesture, "Not you. Never you." He whispered. Those pesky feelings you harbored for him quickened the beating of your heart, bringing a small, yet meaningful, smile to your face. By God, you loved him, and maybe, just maybe he loved you too.

Your heart was pounding, your eyes filled with even more tears. You cupped his cheek, nearly breaking when he nuzzled into the contact. "I know, Logan," you comforted, pulling him into a hug. He rested his head in the crook of your neck, holding onto you like he'd lose you at any second, but right now you were real, you were there with him.

"Don't worry about me," you smiled at him though it failed to convince him that there was nothing to be bothered about with your current state. He wore a pensive frown as he sat on the edge of the worn bed, looking down at his scarred hands that still had both yours and his blood spattered across them. You wrapped your arms around Logan's waist and pressed your cheek into his back. "You need to rest."