》harder than you know

This is it, this is goodbye.

She told herself those words, repeatedly, convinced that this was and would be the best decision. Sigyn paced the dull metallic corridors of the Midgardian flying fortress, the Helicarrier, as they had called it. She was searching for the words to say, hoping that they would come for when she approached her husband. The husband whom she had mourned for as if he were dead and she believed it true until Heimdall informed the House of Odin otherwise.

"Are you sure you wish to do this Lady Sigyn? I should warn you that my brother is not the same man that you once knew." Thor rested his heavy hand on her shoulder in an attempt to comfort her troubled mind, a sad and concerning expression swimming within the depths of his eyes that were as blue as the Asgardian sea. Next to the famed God of Thunder, she felt weak and insignificant, but nonetheless she nodded, she did not want to do this, she needed to do this. A relationship that had put her through so much pain and grief was nearly impossible to bear any longer, and after today she convinced herself that it would be over, she would be free.

"I wish to not be watched like a venomous serpent when I confront him, if it is any consolation to your Midgardian friends I know Loki well enough to know that he will not harm me." Sigyn's melancholy voice was overflowing with hopelessness, she had seen the recordings of the things he had done, and it was time to end this, to walk away.

Shrugging Thor's hand off her shoulder, Sigyn turned and made her way down the corridor that led to the containment area, where they kept him locked away like a rabid animal. Her coppery curls bounced with each step, the robes of her Asgardian gown flowing behind her, and if you could not see the single tear rolling down her porcelain cheek it would have been easy to mistake her for a jubilant woman.

Just tell him and leave. You cannot fall for his tricks and lies again. Never again.

With a practiced eased she slid open the heavy metal door, not making a single sound and thusly not drawing the attention of the god that they held prisoner. Glancing around she took notice of the contraptions that the people of Midgard called cameras, the once flashing red lights had stilled, and they were truly alone. He sat on the small bench provided within the glass cell, his back hunched and head down, studiously picking at the skin on his left hand. For the first time in nearly a year Sigyn laid eyes on her husband, his hair, still black as the night of Svartalfheim, had grown longer and was precariously pushed back, the tips curling out. The entire air surrounding him was more formidable, even the shift of his armor left him looking like man driven by hatred; it made her heart ache to see the man that she loved, no, once loved, like this.

Taking a death breath she closed her pale green eyes and envisioned the floor tile right in front of Loki, and when she opened her tired eyes, she was there.

"By the nines you are the only person who can sneak up on me, Sigyn." His voice was as sweet as she last remembered, not demanding or harsh, his façade broke and for the moment he was no longer the man that had commanded a crowd of people to kneel, he was very much the prince that she had fallen head over heels for.

"Loki." Her voice was weary, uncertainty and fear laced deep within the gentle and tender word of his name. His head rose when she spoke his name in such a voice, a voice that he had nearly forgotten. Sigyn's breath caught when the eyes that pierced through her were no longer the earthy shade of green that she knew but were an unnatural blue, power had driven him to be a mad man it was clear within the color of his eye.

"Why have you come? To mock me? Why Sigyn?" The words were practically a sneer as they left his thin lips, his posture straightening. Slowly, he raised to his full stature, towering over the petite body before him, the same sickening smirk crossing his features. Sigyn knew not what her action was until her hand made contact with the skin of his cheek, the sound echoing through the cell, a red handprint beginning to form on his face. Loki was taken off guard at the act but impulsively gripped her wrist, harshly pushing her back to the glass, tears welling in her eyes, and she was foolish enough to believe that he would never hurt her, oh but he already had.