Chapter 6.

"If you're both ready, you can follow me to the conference room now," stated Emily.

The conference room was located in an alcove the regular visitor would never guess was there. It was concealed by the nurses station. Emily took them through the station and entered the room. Inside, there were four people seated at the table, some of whom they recognized. There were extra chairs and the head of the table was empty. Rebeca took an empty seat after everyone said hello.

"I take it this is my spot," Greg said, rolling into the empty area.

Emily positioned herself in a seat in the center of the group. "We gather at meetings like this to map out the length of stay here and the plan of rehab. You both know Alex, the PT. There is also Saandi, Greg's OT. The others here are Dr. Greene and Jackie, Greg's medical staff."

"I feel so special," Greg said. "I have a medical staff."

"They are the main staff overseeing your medical needs," Emily clarified.

"I understand," Greg said, now recognizing there would be no sarcasm during this meeting.

Everyone said hello again as they were introduced. Jackie began her report first.

"Greg, you were a healthy thirty-something year old prior to the accident. This was in your favor. You've had no skin breakdown, the incision we can see is healing well. The infection you had directly after the accident has cleared up and there are no signs or symptoms of it returning, so we discontinued all IV sites when you entered rehab. The fractures of your wrist and right femur have been immobilized for four weeks now. We would like to get x-rays done in the next week to see if the casts can come off to further assist therapies in their work. They would probably need immobilization, but not a full on plaster cast. That all being said, nursing-wise, there isn't much else to say. So, if you don't mind, I'm going to head out. Everyone else has much more to say." Jackie headed off after nods from Greg and Rebecca.

Saandi went next. "In OT, as I was telling you this morning, we work on the body you have now. Getting you to recognize its limitations and learning how to maneuver with it. We will work on core muscle support, sitting balance, and wheelchair maneuvering."

"Isn't it also a goal to get out of the wheelchair?" Rebecca asked.

"Yes, but while he is in it, it's best if he doesn't get stuck at curbs and such," Saandi explained. "Greg, I would love to see you not using the wheelchair at all within a year, but until that time, my job will be to make sure you are safe with it."

Rebecca and Greg nodded. Greg's face was getting red again, but he calmed down when Rebecca took his hand. The thought of being restricted to the wheelchair for a year was daunting. Greg took a deep breath then reminded himself he was working himself up to getting prosthetic legs. That would change things again.

"We will also make a home inspection to see how it is set up."

"I actually had a separate meeting today about that," Rebecca said. "I'm an interior designer and spoke with my partners in the firm. Tomorrow we are beginning to make the house ready for Greg to come home."

"You're going to build ramps, have doorways widened, and make a bathroom accessible to him?"

"Yes," Rebecca answered. "The plans are still being drawn up, but my partner and I will be walking through tomorrow to figure out how to change things within the blueprint of the house."

"Greg, you will have the swankiest accessible house in the area," Saandi said.

Greg had been quiet this whole conversation, not to let the women talk, but because he was stuck on a key item for him.