Chapter 14.

Finally, the day had arrived that Greg would be going to the city for his prosthetic appointment. He was excited, but also nervous. Several things bothered him. First, he didn't know exactly what to expect at the office. Would they require him to show what he can and can't do, or would they want to examine every part of what remained of his legs? He wasn't used to showing these legs to anyone except his therapists and the doctor here. That would be a new experience he could live without. He also worried that he would run out of strength while there, and need help. The way Alex and Saandi had made it sound, getting around the city would be a trial on his newly building upper body strength. So far, he hadn't needed Rebecca's help too much which he was proud of. He might need her help more today than up to this point. He wasn't sure how he felt about that. He was usually a very independent man, watching over her more than himself while they were out. He took a deep breath and got out of bed to start getting ready.

Once dressed in the clothes Rebecca had brought in for him, the only thing Greg could do was wait. She was expected to get here early so they could join all the happy commuters going to work in the city. He put the TV on while waiting for her to arrive.

Greg kept switching channels on the television and looking down the hall. Everytime, he saw a person round the corner, his heart jumped, but it was always a false alarm. He also kept an eye on the clock. The minutes seemed to pass slower every time he looked at it. Rebecca wasn't running late so there was no reason to be worried. Finally, right on time, Rebecca came around the corner. Greg's stomach jumped for excitement, however he had a hard time understanding why he was so excited. He turned the television off and moved the table out of the way. Like yesterday, she was carrying cups and a bag.

"I already ate. I hope you didn't bring breakfast again," Greg warned as he saw the bag in her hand.

"This? No, it's just creamers and sugar for your coffee," she said, putting them down on the table. "I brought you one and got an orange juice smoothie for myself."

Greg spun in his chair to face the table so he could prepare his coffee. When he lifted the lid, he could smell she got his favorite, rich and dark. "Thank you, I could use this. Didn't sleep well last night."

"Oh, no. Why?"

"I think I was excited to get today started," he reasoned, stirring the coffee and putting the lid back on. "This will be one more step closer to getting my life back in order."

He handed his coffee back to Rebecca. "Speaking of, we should get going. We'll be hitting rush hour traffic going in."

Rebecca paused in the door jam a minute to look at her husband. He was wearing a blue button down shirt with the sleeves rolled up midway on his forearms and a pair of khaki pants. It was an outfit he would typically wear to work and it was refreshing to see a glimpse of that man coming back. He also had a large smile on his face, ready to get the show on the road.

"Are you ready to go now?" she asked, hitching her purse back up her shoulder.

"Yep," Greg said, starting to leave the room. "The backpack you brought me yesterday is perfect. I have a change of clothes in there if the guy needs that."

"Where is it? I can carry it if you'd like," Rebecca said, turning as he passed her and headed toward the elevators. "Oh, I see. You have it off the back of your chair. Very convenient."

"I need to start doing things myself," Greg said seriously once she caught up next to him. "I'll be in this for a couple months and I need to figure out how to carry things with me."

As they passed the nurses' station, Jackie stood up from behind it and called to them. "I have a temporary disabled parking pass for you today. Just put it on your dashboard when you park and you shouldn't have any problems."