Chapter 15

The lobby to the building was less crowded, now that everyone was back from their lunch breaks. The elevator didn't even have another passenger in it the whole time they rode up to the fourteenth floor. Once there, Greg checked in with the receptionist again to let Dan know they were back from their lunch break.

"Dan had an emergency come in, so he'll be a minute," she warned him. "You can wait in the waiting area."

Rebecca had heard the receptionist's comment, so she headed over to the chairs to sit. She pulled out her phone to busy herself with emails and internet browsing. Greg watched her as he settled next to her.

He didn't feel like looking at another magazine. And didn't know how long Dan would be with his emergency. So he thought his wife had a good idea and reached around to get his phone out of the backpack. It was turning out to be convenient having that on his chair.

After about a half an hour, the door to the exam room side of the office opened and a woman on crutches came through. She was thanking the person behind her as she came into the room. It turned out, Dan was following her through the doorway.

"I don't expect you to function in a cracked socket," Dan told her. "Just next time, be gentler when getting on your horse."

"I'll try."

Dan smiled and reminded her to stop at the receptionist's desk to make a next appointment. He turned to Greg and Rebecca sitting patiently in the waiting area.

"Sorry about that," he said, coming over to them. "I thought that was going to be a quick visit. She is pretty rough on her leg. Ready to go?"

Greg and Rebecca turned off their phones. Rebecca stood up, affirming they were ready while Greg put his phone in his bag and unlocked his wheels. Dan told them to follow him back into the exam room side of the office.

All three exam room doors were open. Dan walked into the nearest one and let Greg and Rebecca follow. He closed the door behind them.

"As I've mentioned earlier today, we'll be making plaster molds of your legs," Dan explained. "That's the mess Alex had been talking about. I wrap your residual limb in a vaseline gauze so the plaster clips off easily. The plaster itself, and the vaseline actually, can get all over the place. After years of doing this, you'd think I would figure out how not to get it everywhere. The clothes you brought might not be able to be worn again after today. I'll do my best to keep it under control."

"No worries," Greg reassured. "My friend Mike. who is a client here, warned me also. My clothes are disposable if necessary."

"Glad to hear that. I'll step out for a minute to let you change," Dan said. "I'll come back and we can get started. When I come back, we will be working on the table."

Greg understood Dan was letting him know where to be without giving the order. As Dan stepped out, Greg maneuvered himself over to the worktable and transferred to it. Rebecca came over in front of him.

"Do you need any help?" she asked. "Can I do anything?"

Greg realized she hadn't seen him getting dressed for the day yet, and she might be getting freaked out. He didn't need help, but he would keep her busy while he changed.

"You can reach into the large pocket of the backpack and get the cut-offs and undershirt from there," Greg said as he unbuttoned his work shirt and removed it. "To keep everything as clean as possible. Could you repack the bag with my good clothes?"

"Can I put my purse and jacket on your wheelchair?"

"Sure," he said.

Greg was able to change out of his button-down shirt and undershirt while sitting on the edge of the table. The other shirt he had brought was very stretched out and already had some holes and stains on it. For his pants, he had learned from experience it was easier and safer to be further on the surface he was sitting on. He backed up and started wiggling out of his pants. Once they were off, he layed back on the table to get his cut-off sweats pulled up to his waist. His legs were now exposed, more so than Rebecca had ever seen. He heard her take a long sigh.