Chapter 11.

Greg showed Rebecca where the occupational gym was located. Given that they had only come from the cafe, they were early and there weren't many people there yet. Greg showed her how everyone got in the line that formed before the session started.

"This happens every time you start therapy?" Rebecca asked from behind him. "You all stay in line waiting for the session to begin?"

"Don't ask me why, but yes," Greg said, looking behind and up to her.

"Kind of makes you feel like you're back in school, doesn't it?"

"Yes, but Saandi usually comes over quickly."

"Excited to see the wheelchair?"

"Actually, yes. I'm surprised by that. I didn't think I was so comfortable with the whole thing yet."

"Neither of us are comfortable with it, but we have to deal with it."

"Thank you for dealing with me," he said, smiling and grabbing her hand. He gave it a kiss.

Saandi came out of the secret room in the back of the gym ready to work with Greg. She walked straight over to them in line.

"Hi, Rebecca," she said once over to Greg. "Thank you for coming. Greg said he wasn't sure if you could make it by this session or not. We will be going outside to work on transferring into and out of the car, and some curb work. Glad you could make it."

"Absolutely, I just finished at the house early and came over," Becca explained. "The workers will be there until the end of the work day, but I was able to escape the dust and chaos."

"I guess you were glad to get out of there," Saandi commented.

"Yes."

Focusing back on Greg, Saandi suggested. "Let's go over to one of the work stations so we can get started."

Saandi led them over to one of the mats and Greg got onto the mat.

"I guess you are looking for the new chair?" Saandi asked Greg.

"I think I'm actually kind of excited to see it."

"You'll get to do more than that. We are going to get in it, try it out here. I also have some surprises for you about this chair, it's really nice. Then we'll go outside," Saandi informed them. "Rebecca, why don't you take this chair back upstairs. What is the weather like outside?"

"It's chilly," she answered. "You will need a jacket. Greg, I could see if you have a thick sweatshirt or something. I'll be back in a minute."

"You have plenty of time," Saandi assured her. "We won't go anywhere without you."

Rebecca gave Greg a quick peck on the cheek and took the empty chair with her. After she was gone, Saandi went back to the room in the back of the gym where the therapists always come out of. She quickly returned with a short chair wrapped in plastic. She had to bend over to hold the back support of the chair to steer it over to Greg. Greg thought if she had to bend over, it really was a short back support. There were no handles on it for a person to push from behind. From what Greg could see, the exposed metal of the chair was dark gray and the seat and back were black. Once Saandi brought it over to Greg, he saw there was some more equipment in the seat of the chair under the wrapping. The wrapping turned out to be a plastic bag, and Saandi had no trouble opening it, uncovering the chair. The new fabric and plastic smell came wafting over to Greg. He hoped that smell would dissipate quickly, but he appreciated the newness. It was very sleek and sporty, not at all like one of the generic hospital issued wheelchairs. He could admit, he was impressed.