Chapter 13

They retraced their path to the elevators. Then they took the rehab elevators back to Greg's room. Once the doors closed, he could smell himself since they were the only ones in it. Even though it was just the two of them, he turned red in the cheeks from embarrassment. He couldn't wait to take a shower. He was to talk with Jackie when he arrived back on the floor, so he told the desk he had come back for her. Rebecca and he went back to his room to wait.

"I feel like I lost twenty pounds getting that cast off," Greg said, letting Rebecca sit on the bed while he set himself up in front of her.

"Sounds like therapy is going to change," Rebecca commented.

"I figured it would, the casts are now off. That would free up some more things that Alex needs to do," Greg said. "While we are working together, he always says we need to stay flexible. However, this change is expected. Dr. Rosenthal said he would put orders in to change therapy. It'll be interesting to see what happens this afternoon during therapy."

Rebecca pulled her phone out of her pocket. Greg could hear it had been vibrating throughout the appointment. He figured she was needed at home. He didn't feel like he really needed her here at this point. He was glad she had pulled herself from all the work at home to come to this appointment.

"Everything all right at home?" Greg asked.

"Some minor things, but I should get back," she answered, looking at the screen on her phone. "I got the bag you wanted. It's the smaller backpack we have. Your clothes for tomorrow are in there. It all fits fine in there."

"Thanks," he said. "Let's see if it will fit on the back of this chair. If it does, one less thing you need to carry."

Rebecca grabbed the backpack off the chair where she had placed it when she came in this morning. She walked around behind Greg and looped the shoulder straps over the back of his chair. They were too loose, so she took the bag off and tightened them up. Much better fit after the adjustment.

"Does it drag on the floor?" Greg asked as he moved around the room some.

"No, good choice. It's perfect, " Rebecca said after checking. She came around in front of him. "I need to go. I'm sorry to leave you like this."

"All the excitement is over here. Don't feel you need to stay."

"Are you ok now, after this morning?"

"Getting better. It just hit hard again. I'm sure it won't be the last time."

"Take it easy on yourself and call me later, " she bent down and kissed him.

"Go home and see what needs to be done. Don't worry about me. I'll be fine"

"All I'll be doing this afternoon is taking a shower and therapy," Greg continued. "No reason to stick around here."

They said good-bye and quickly kissed so Rebecca could get on her way. No sooner did Rebecca leave when Jackie, Greg's daytime nurse came in. She was smiling, as usual, and had some gloves in her hand.

"You ready for me?" she asked, leaning on the door frame. "How was the appointment?"

"Strange, I guess," Greg answered. "They were able to take all the casts off, as you can see. I just got a little freaked out when the leg cast came off."

"You were in surgery when it was applied, right?" Jackie came stepping into the room more.

"Yeah, I never actually saw the right leg after the accident. I was out of it until after the second or third surgery," Greg told her. "I always knew the leg wasn't there, but it kind of shocked me when I actually saw it. Is that weird?"