Chapter 17: Back to square one

I didn't know the snap would bring so much harm. It was however quite poetic to see the whole world coming together in the middle of the chaos. While the governments tried to make sense of what happened. I was doing it too. Wanda never got dusted. I gathered my stuff from Wakanda and moved into the Avengers compound. After the first week of the chaos, I went to search for Wong. I told him something didn't happen as it should have and his reply to that was that nothing happened as it should have. I sat down with him and I told him everything, how I come from another universe, how Wanda truly was not supposed to stay alive, and after hearing everything he tilted his head and watched me. He sighed rubbing his hands on his thighs and looked down. It changed because of you. Stephen still saw you in the one future, which means things are the way they should be. I am not sure if he believed what he was saying, because I don't really. I can't see how this happened and I can't see how anything is happening.

Three weeks after Thanos snapped his fingers, I met Tony for the first time in my life. I looked at him so far away from his glory days as he was connected to the IV. I can still hear the way he lashed at Steve. I needed you, as in past tense, that trumps what you need. It's too late buddy. Sorry. I remember telling youse that what we needed was a suit of armor around the world. Remember that? Whether it impacted our precious freedoms or not. That's what we needed. I said we'd lose and you said we'd do that together too. Well, guess what, Cap? We lost, and you weren't there. I remember for one second wanting to be on Tony's side as I saw him going up against the person that he once called friend. Steve really sucks at friendships.

After seeing Tony collapse I went to Wanda's room. She doesn't really talk to people, She didn't even want to go see Stark. She blames everyone for letting this happen. She lets me in once in a while. You knew Thanos will win, didn't you? I remember seeing it on your face the first time. I didn't know you and you never met me. You could've spent the last hours with your fiance and yet you still chose to protect Vision. That's what she told me on the first day after the snap. That was the only this she said that day.

"They're going to Thanos.", I whispered at her door and she opened it looking at me. I remember I saw Vision's body on a table in her room and I couldn't bring myself to look at it. I didn't understand how she could. She smirked at me that day and joined the remaining Avengers onto the planet where Thanos took off. I saw Wanda and Thor at the news of the stones being gone. I saw how both of them went for Thanos. Wanda constricted him while Thor swung Stormbreaker at Thanos' head. After that day, everything changed.

It's been four months since Thanos snapped his fingers. Tony and Pepper relocated. Thor left to his new Asgard, Captain Marvel finally went back to her other planets, I didn't like her in my universe and I don't like her in this one either, Nebula and Rocket left in space too, trying to help other planets, Okoye stayed in touch by trying her best to lead Wakanda, Rhodes tried his best to lead and advise the politics behind the armies. Wanda had a funeral for Vision and the only people at the compound were me, Natasha, Steve, and Wanda. I am gone for half the time. I am finally able to fully tap into the Universal energy and I am not wasting it.

"How are you holding up?" I see Steve at the entrance of my room as I came back from the Sanctum. This is the first time he talked to me in two months. I know it's probably because I have been avoiding him and spending time with an angry Wanda at the whole world didn't exactly help me.

"You don't have to do this, you know?" I say throwing my bag on the armchair and he rests his body on the frame of the door sighing. "Just because you were James' best friend, you don't have to talk to me," I speak not looking at him. The only reason I sleep at the Avengers compound is that I fear Wanda might be going dark, and I would hate for that to happen because of me. I don't like when Steve comes to talk to me. He reminds me James is gone. He reminds me I still have another four years and 8 months to spend without him.