Chapter 27: Nothing but dust and blood

It worked.

The way it worked in the movies.

We all got back... all except Natasha.

She did exactly what she told me she would. She sacrificed herself so that all of us would get our loved ones back.

I don't even know what this makes me anymore. I knew all along the outcome of this.

I knew it.

How can I look Bruce in the eyes now when I knew his loved one would die on this mission and did nothing to save her?

How can I look Clint in the eyes now when I knew his best friend would die on this mission and did nothing to save her?

How can I look in the mirror when I knew she would die on this mission and did nothing to save her?

I swallow my guilt away not being able to look anyone in the eyes. I watch from afar as Bruce throws the bench on the other side of the lake and I feel my vision getting blurry. Am I pathetic? Selfish? I didn't even try.

I feel a warm wave on my arm and I realize it's Wanda's hand. She presses her lips into a thin line and gulps.

"It's done now. Let her die with dignity. It was her choice and she made it a long time ago." Wanda tells me caressing my arm and I nod as a tear escapes my eye. Wanda pulls me into a hug and my arms tighten around her.

We move inside and soon enough the boys follow. Bruce decides he should be the one to bring everyone back and before he could snap his fingers I think about all the fan theories about this snap.

"Banner, wait!" I say getting everyone's attention. "Please think about the people who were in airplanes or boats, or elevators, or any means of transportation," I say and I can see everyone's eyes widen like this thought did not even travel through their minds.

"She's right. If they come back to the exact point in space, their chances of survival are zero." Clint backs me up and I nod while Banner sighs as his job just got harder.

Bruce manages to snap his fingers and I hear Clint's phone vibrating. I smile looking at Wanda knowing this means it worked. I cannot believe the time has finally come to get James back.

My mind opens a portal and I see it's Wakanda. Steve smiles nodding at me and I jump through it followed by Wanda. As the portal closes I hear the explosion in the compound reminding me that the War is not over yet. But my body cannot wait to feel James. I see people being reconstructed from thin air and I feel my legs picking up the pace. I don't even feel the ground under me as I am sprinting to the place I lost James five years ago.

"James!" I shout looking around and not seeing his face navigating through the woods. I stop looking around.

"Y/n. What has happened to us?" I hear Challa's voice next to me and I instantly have tears in my eyes hearing his voice. I turn around to hug my arms around him. It is so good seeing a familiar face after all this time.

"Thanos won, it's been five years but we found a way to bring everyone back.", I explain smiling and he seems a tad confused.

"Brother!" Shuri runs in our direction wrapping her arms around her brother and I smile at the scene. I feel the background being filled by someone's presence and I focus my attention on James stepping into my sight.

I gulped looking at him as the time freezes for a second. His big smile manages to take my breath away even after five years. I feel my legs melting as I am stepping toward him, each step becoming bigger. My body feels like it cannot wait for another step so it jumps straight into his arms. His smell invades my everything and my arms cling hard to his shoulders. Both his arms tighten themselves around my waist. I don't even know when my legs found their way around his torso but it feels like I just need to feel him all at once without ever wanting to let go.