PROLOGUE

! TRIGGER WARNING!

I hear the sound of the car crashing into me, sooner than I feel it. It was travelling faster than light and in slow motion, all at once.

I couldn't breathe.

The windshield crashed around me, like shards of a broken heart. His blue eyes filled with fear. I was struggling with my seat belt and I felt him go limp. I shook his body with as much force as I could muster, but my own strength was slowly leaving me. 

"Help," I whispered but no one heard me.

"Help," I screamed this time, but my voice drowned in the night. No one heard me.

"Please help," I sobbed, letting my screams turn into sobs and yet, no one heard me. 

It was pitch black outside, like all the light was slowly coming to an end. I was finally able to  open my seat belt and tried to open the door, but it wouldn't budge. 

"Please," I sobbed and with my trembling hands, I slowly opened the door and got out. I stumbled onto the road and felt my lungs gasping for air, pleading me to breathe. 

But how could I?

I rushed to his side, his body was against the door and when I pulled it open, his head fell into my arms and I tried to get his full body out of the damned car. I looked around for my phone but when I found it, it was crushed under my seat. I tried to turn it on, but it wouldn't. It was done for. The thoughts of my phone not being the only thing dead, made me shiver.

I couldn't let him die, please God don't let him die. I had never believed in God up till this moment, but now more than anyone I was begging for his existence. Praying on my knees for him to be alive, for someone to find us, for a miracle to happen. After all, if God existed, he wouldn't let my entire world crumble before my eyes, would he?

"Please be alive," I said to him and tried to feel his pulse, but I felt nothing except the pounding of my own head. I wouldn't last long and I had to help him out. I couldn't let him die so young, he was just fourteen. 

My Edgar couldn't die so young. 

I started breathing deeply now, maybe if he heard my breathing, he would breathe too. I let my lungs fill in all the air they could and let his know what it feels like to breathe. Tears were streaming down my face, falling onto his. It felt as if all the clouds had burst and were raining at this exact moment, my heart felt the same way. 

I shook him again, maybe if I shook him enough, I'd be able to shake the death out of him. 

"Open your eyes," I said to him, hoping he could hear me. I heard voices around me, maybe someone was coming, they would help us, they could save him. 

I pulled his limp body from the car, away from all the glass and laid his body on the pavement. My vision was blurring now, leaving me. 

"Don't leave me too," I whispered to him and everything was starting to grow darker. My eyes started to squint and I looked at him and all the air left my lungs when I saw the sight before me. Blood was dripping from his mouth and his pulse was getting fainter. There was not a single scar on his body, not even a single scratch, but one look at him told me that he was already too wounded to be saved. 

"No," I screamed. 

Where are those voices? Those people I heard? Was it in my own head? 

Suddenly, as if on cue, I see someone before me. I see his dark silhouette before I see his blue eyes, they remind me of my Edgar.  

"Please help us," I say to him and he slowly nods. He comes closer to me and that's when I see the blood on his hands. A gun falls out from his pocket and he scurries to pick it. His eyes meet mine in fear, as if now I would reject his help. I nod, letting him know to continue helping us and he smiles briefly but its too dark to know whether it was genuine or eerie. It dawns upon me that our savior could be someone's murderer, but right now, I just want my Edgar to be alive. 

He pulls Edgar's body off the pavement and puts his head in my lap. The remorse in his eyes confirms my worst fears. He says something to me about calling an ambulance and I nod. I watch that man leave, maybe he's leaving for good and that thought makes me lose it. 

I sit down to where he lies. I hear him panting for breath, I try to see him open his eyes but all in vain. I hold his cold hands, I caress his face and I feel his pulse go fainter and fainter by the second. I hear an ambulance close to us and this lights a fire of hope in me. There were sirens in the beat of his heart, both growing both fainter and louder in my head. I try to make him sit and hold his limp body. 

"Please don't be dead," I sob, clutching Edgar's body close to mine. I pull him close to my beating heart. 

Maybe then his would beat too.