CHAPTER 3: IOWA FLYOVER

We were driving, the getaway car.
We were flying, but we'd never get far

- "Getaway Car", Taylor Swift

"So, first day back! How are you feeling?" Miles asks me as I set my coffee on the office table and sit down. 

"Despite the fact I've been throwing up all night, extremely well," I say with a sigh. Miles sits down at the table and puts his arms around my shoulder.

"Sighing the first thing in the morning on your day back? Things are not looking good for you Luna," Arthur says while tutting loudly. He closes the door behind himself and sits on the chair beside me. 

"Sorry Arthur, what do you need me to do right now? I'm a bit out of practice on this whole job thing" I say which makes both of them laugh.

"Well, I am assigning you to audio files, for now, then once we get braille, we'll continue with that, sounds good?" Arthur asks me.

"Sounds perfect actually, I'll get right to it. Miles can you help me get to my office?" I say and Miles helps me get up.

"Bye Arthur," we say in unison and I can just picture Arthur frowning, which makes me laugh.

Miles helps me into the office and as soon as he closes the door, I bombard him with my questions about him.

"Do you know why he's here of all places? Is he in the office today? Oh god, I cannot breathe this way, let alone work. Fuck, I'm hyperventilating now. Miles? ANSWER ME" I say in one breath and collapse onto my chair, my breathing getting faster by the minute. 

"Shit fuck, just deep breathe okay? Count till 10, I'm here with you. Okay? You feeling better Luna?" He says and I deep breathe and focus on his voice alone and I find my way back to the present. 

"Yeah, I'm better now. We work in a goddamned police department, the forensics one, I know but still. There's gotta be a way we can like uncover his identity or something, right?"

"Definitely, I'm one of the best detectives you know for a reason, hon," he says which makes me feel a hundred times better than I did several moments ago.

"Thank you, Miles, you know I love you," I say to him.

"That I do. Now you gotta help me plan this date with my boyfriend tonight, it is our first anniversary? Can you believe I lasted an entire year with someone?" Miles says and high fives with himself.

"Yes, you geek, always falling in love with the wrong people. I'm so happy for you," I say and he starts giggling like crazy. 

"Okay, I'm gonna leave, Arthur's going to get the audio files delivered to you as soon as he can. If you need anything else, just call me okay?" he says and leaves. 

Damn it, I should've asked him to open the window for me. I get up and try to open the window latch but it won't budge. I hear the office door open behind me, maybe it's Arthur.

"Arthur?" I ask but no one answers me back. I stumble forward to grab my cane leaning against my chair, but it tumbles down and I fall too, scrambling to pick it up. Rough hands grip my wrists and they try to hoist me upwards, but I am frozen on the ground. The person tries once again and finally hoists me upwards, handing the cane to me. I mumble a weak thank you and try to regain my gravity. 

A breeze flutters past us, my hair blowing away with it. The soft patter of rain echoes around us but I await the thunderstorm. It's too calm to be this way and the silence of the person next to me worries me further. 

"Lovely day, isn't it?" The person asks in a gruff deep voice. 

Ezra.

Of course, it's him, I would recognize that voice anywhere, in the clouds of heaven or in the pits of hell, though judging by his character, it's most likely the latter.