CHAPTER 11: NIGHTMARE'S REALITY

I wake up with a start, the voice is ringing like a siren and my head is pounding badly. I get up from the bed and fumble around for the light switch but find nothing at all. My hands reach out in the dark, trying to grab something, or at least someone, only this time my fingers find a switch. I turn it on and with sudden radiance, the brightness enfolds me.

I'm in a trance, I'm under a spotlight and I'm no longer in my room. I look down at my clothes, my night suit has been replaced by a formal pantsuit. I look around and find myself in a courtroom.

How did I get here?

I run towards the doors on my nearest exit, to the left but two strong hands push me back into a chair and I face the judges.
The judges don't have a face, but they do have a voice. The sharpest, shrillest voices which sound worse than my worst nightmare. The voice is blaming me, calling me names.

Wretched, irresponsible, a bad omen.

It feels like every day.

"How do you plead?" One of them asks me, being faceless I can still see the judgment on their faces.

"Innocent," I say, unsure about confessing to sins I didn't commit.

"Guilty, take her away," they order and at once the strong arms grab me and push me away from reality. As I am being taken away, he whispers, "if you knew, you wouldn't be here lying in my arms, holding me close to your heart ."

***

"Lu? Lu!" someone calls me and I wake up, gasping for air.

"Are you alright?" they ask me again and I recognize it as my mother's voice.

"Mom? When did you get here?"

"Miles said that he had some urgent work and had to leave instantly, so I came down here to be with you," she says while gently placing her palm on my head and caressing me. I've missed her warmth, and the steady calm she always seems to bring whenever she's around. 

"Oh great, so wait, what time is it right now?" 

"About 10 in the morning, why?"

"Shit, I slept for so long."

"Why do you have somewhere to be?"

"No, not really but still. Also, I need a favour," I say to her. 

"Anything, my dear."

"Do we still have the case files from my accident?"