Chapter 4

Joshua's eyes slowly fluttered open, he groaned at the blinding sun. The blanket was fling over his head as he turned away. His mother's muffled steps trailed along the hard wood floors. Seconds later high heels clanked away and the front door closed. Joshua knew his mom had just left so his father is already gone to work. He snuggled closer into the blanket.
Silverware chimed in the distance, someone was in the kitchen. Joshua listened as they heard drawers and cabinets open and close, a bowl being placed, and cereal being poured. Joshua heard the person crunch on a bite as they poured the milk, and set the jug on the counter and, and how they approached his door.
He heard the door creak open and tiny footsteps make their way over to him, the bowl sloshing as they stepped. The bowl was placed on his bedside table, and he was blinded by the sudden light as the blanket was ripped off of him. The cold air rushing over Joshua's body. He leaped out of his bed onto  the opposite side of his intruder. He glares at the person.
Terrilyn stares at him in fright. Her face switch to a confused anger. Joshua stands straight, he tilts his head.
"How the hell did you get here?" He asked, surprisingly calm. Terrilyn crosses her arms.
"The front door, unlocked already and Steele was happy to give me a ride." She replied confidently. Steele, he- he heard last night. The- "Nice abs dude! Holy cow, where'd you get those scars!" Terrilyn tried to walk over. Joshua realised he was shirtless. Before Terrilyn could see anymore, Joshua yoinked a shirt from his bedside drawer and slipped it on. Terrilyn frowned, now unable to mess with him. She ran up to him and jumped up, he was taller then her by a bit, and she bopped the top of his hair.
"Hey, what was that for?" Joshua ruffled his hair.
"That is for not telling me you worked out. And! How did you get these scratches? Ooh oh let me guess, a racoon?!" Terrilyn studied his face. "Or was it your parents?" Joshua was taken back by this. He hadn't told anyone, let alone his best friend.
He started panicing, fear overwhelmed him. With a second dose of adrenaline, Joshua lunged out the door. Terrilyn stood confused for a moment, why did he run? She ran after him to get answers.
He bolted through the house and put the front door, Terrilyn's small steps racing behind. He ran into a forest nearby, the one he knew like the back of his hand. He kicked up leaves as he jumped over sticks and patches of thorns. He heard Terrilyn grunt as she landed, and the sound of twigs breaking on impact. Joshua hung on top of a low-hanging branch and climbed up into an old rickety treehouse.
Terrilyn gazed up and leaped from branch to branch. She climbed her way up. Groaning as she pulled herself up to the old flooring. She twisted herself onto her back and took some deep breaths. Joshua sat in a corner, a few filled journals beside him. His head was tucked in-between his knees, quiet sobs escaped his mouth. Terrilyn rolled over to his side.
He flinched as she rested a hand on his knee. She notices his arms, burns and scars scattered above his elbow, his skin pink from the scraping branches. His neck, mostly covered by hair, a long scar poked out. Joshua shifted, a sob escaping. Terrilyn felt his sadness poke at her. She picked up a journal, it was different to the rest, no leaves or feathers poking out, but a drawing of a rope and sword. She flipped through the pages, drawings of cigarettes and smoke, kitchen and butter knifes, cuts and burns, but in the last pages, herself was drawn; her and Narrans. She smiled at the drawing, it was poorly drawn, Joshua was always better at inanimate objects but, the meaning behind it made her happy. She rested the book, and scooched over to Josh. Terrilyn rested on his side. She felt his breathing soothe and sobs slow but the pain was still there.
Joshua gently pushed her away for a moment. Terrilyn got up and glanced at him confused. He looked up at her, his face stained red with tears, he changed positions and sat resting on the wall.
"T-Terrilyn, you weren't supposed to find out like this. I- I was going to tell you eventually, but, I didn't... I didn't want to hurt you too." Joshua croaked, he looked down at the floor. "I-"
'It's okay." Terrilyn spoke, "I, I had my suspensions, but wanted to wait until you were ready, but last night, I over heard Steele talking with my mom. Good news, he accepts you, bad news, um... I guess there isn't any." Terrilyn moved closer and rested next to him.
"Y-yeah, just, please don't yell at my parents..." Joshua whispered to her. "S-Steele, and you, shouldn't worry about me. I'm more worried about how you're going to get down from here." Joshua laughed a bit, wiping his tears away. Terrilyn grinned up at him.
"Don't you worry about it, I'll be fine." She fell onto his shoulder. "Let's just sit here for awhile. And maybe for today we could do a little scavenging trip." Terrilyn felt Joshua's heart beat faster with excitement.
"R-really!? I-I mean you normally get bored or tired in the first half an hour, we don't have to..." Joshua peeped.
"Nah, it'll be fun."
"OK, just don't complain." Joshua leaned into the touch, she made a agreeing grunt and closed her eyes. Joshua couldn't close his, he was too exited for his trip.

Writer here, hope you enjoyed! Sorry for the long wait, got snagged in some books. Anyways hope you enjoyed and see you in the next chapter!
-Mojo