The Rebel and the Patriot

So there she was standing before him, solid and strong, unafraid and unaffected by his presence. At first it seemed like they were in a stand off, neither one willing to speak first. Until Kia decided to be the first to break the uncomfortable silence.

"She should not have said that to you," she blurts out, her modulated voice vibrating through her helmet.

It was strange how their helmets and armor, originally meant to hide their individuality, actually revealed details about the person, such as their youth, training, culture and beliefs. Only other Mandalorians would understand this. Her armor was decorated to display her accomplishments as a fighter pilot for the Rebel Alliance, as well as other markings to represent her clan's signet. Yet his brightly shiny armor had no markings at all, except for a single mudhorn symbol carved onto his left shoulder plate.

Under the bright illumination coming from the streets above, he was now able to see her armor in clear view. It was jet black, unlike his flashy silver plates. He could tell it had been fused with durasteel and beskar, making it less durable but more lightweight than his. Hers had been painted with several dark green markings of a carnivorous feline, as well as a few Rebel symbols in red ink throughout. Her armor reflected the light around her, making her appear more menacing than him. In Mandalorian culture, the color black stood for justice.

"What the hell are you talking about?!" His voice coming out rough as he gritted between clenched teeth. Her words sparked a hint of rage and anxiety deep in his heart.

"That woman in your covert. Although she has the ability to exile you from the clan, but she does not have the authority to strip you of your identity like that. No matter what you did, you are a Mandalorian!" Kia retorted, trying to sound more like a peaceful negotiator rather than an outsider threatening his beliefs. "I understand you value her as a leader, but technically," she says as she takes a few steps towards him, "you are at a higher rank than she is."

"Are you spying on me?" He replied quickly as she he can tell his hands were held in tight fists, his voice now dropping low and harsh.

"I needed to learn more about you," Kia explained calmly as she stepped up closer towards him. "There is only so much I was able to extract from the kid's memories."

"So you read minds?" He asked, but this time he sounded slightly more relaxed.

"I certainly have that ability, but I don't do it unless I believe it was absolutely necessary. I know a lot about you already. I know you brought the kid to an underground fighting pit. Also, I've been meaning to ask you. Did you really kill a krayt dragon?"

"I had help," he said flatly, now appearing more calm and reserved.

"As I said before. I am a clan of one, and you were just excluded from yours. We need each other," Kia murmured as she removes her helmet, instantly making eye contact with him. "What do you say?"

"I work alone," he blurts out coldly. The sudden change in his life has left him feeling empty and unnerved.

"Do you now?" Kia responds with a frisky grin as she steps up even closer to him, now only an inch away as she closes the gap between them. He was a bit taller than her, with broad shoulders and a confident posture, his cape flowing behind him, and his shiny armor twinkling in the city lights. He remained absolutely still when she placed her hand gently on his shiny chest plate, looking up at him with her doe eyes as she held her helmet under her arm.

"Then how about I offer you something else, a deal we can both benefit from?" Her voice now a whisper. She is so close that he can feel the heat of her breath on his neck, sending a shiver up his spine as he visibly swallowed hard.