The Dark Side

Mid-8 ABY
Planet Dathomir

The Mandalorian Padawan, Kia Starflier, has been working with Master Luke Skywalker for years and is soon to become a Jedi Knight. But her final lesson is to resist the Dark Side of the Force. Yet Kia has been contemplating on the idea that there must be more to the Jedi ways than continuously fighting against the temptations of one's emotions. Her intentions are pure, to be educated in the ways of the Force. Yet there is something about stepping into the unknown that is appealing to her.

To win on the battlefield, a good soldier must learn the enemy's intentions and conquer their fears. A well planned and organized strategy for war is more than simply protecting oneself from the opponent's attacks. She is a Mandalorian first and foremost. She never needed to shy away from developing her attachments, as well as experiencing fear or anger. She'd openly embraced her feelings plenty of times during her years living among her clan. Her emotions were never anything she needed to fear back then. To bravely face your weaknesses head on this is the best way to refrain from falling into chaos.

Kia had felt the chilling temptations of the Dark Side on more than one occasion. The last time she did was years ago, when she knew she had lost her clan the the purge. She felt the desire to kill those Imperial troopers who not only slaughtered her whole family, but also completely annihilated the entire planet of Mandalore with their bombs and battle droids. She wanted to kill them, and watch her enemies die slowly and painfully. Yet she knew this would only end in more heartache.

***

With her helmet in her hand, Kia takes the first few hesitant steps away from her X-wing, and deeply draws in a breath through her nostrils. The air smells of dirt and moisture, as well as a hint of decaying timber and sultry soil. The aromas are potent and natural. There is a dense fog that swirls around her, shifting and twisting at her feet, and the marsh seems to whisper at her. She feels a presence, it is both malevolent and welcoming. Someone is watching her, but she is not afraid.

The Dark Side is strong here and it compresses her like delicate fingers, poking, prodding, searching and urging her forward. Even her breath seems to reverberate as she leaves her ship, disappearing into the thick haze that's enveloping her. Her feet are sinking into the warm and moist ground, the strange bioluminescent trees producing needle-like archways surrounding her.

"I am one with the Force and the Force is with me. I am one with the Force and the Force is with me," she softly chanted to herself, walking through the swamp with an open mind.

Thorny grass brushes against her and the wet moss sinks softly at her feet. Water sloshes under her boots, and the puddles around her seem to shimmer with an eerie green light. It's all very beautiful and strange at the same time. She thought being here would be frightening, but it somehow felt calming. It's almost funny how Luke was so uncomfortable and anxious about her coming here. After a few minutes of strolling through the mists, she can now make out the faint image of large structure in the distance.

Then a soft, female voice is unexpectedly heard, whispering and echoing all around her, "You are trespassing, Jedi."

"I'm not here as your enemy," Kia says calmly as she puts on her helmet, connecting her mind to the Force to give her the strength to engage with this Dark being.

"Outsiders aren't welcome here," the sinister female voice whispered back, this time sounding a lot closer.

"I mean you no harm. My name is Kia Starflier. I am a Mandalorian foundling of Clan Eldar and Jedi Padawan to Luke Skywalker. I've come seeking your knowledge."