The Dinner

Muffled by his helmet, Din sighed as he stood with the others in the guest wing at the Wren Stronghold. His transition has been slow and difficult, but he is aware that he's been raised to be proud and stubborn with his creed. Even though he has not yet assumed the leadership role, nevertheless he understands that the support and resources here are necessary in order to begin the difficult task of reuniting the clans.

But the mission has been made slightly more challenging. Kia had contacted her friend in the senate, who had offered to assist them with building an alliance with the New Republic. But they have yet to made a decision on their position in the formation of Mandalorian Independence.

Yet so far, the leaders of Clan Wren have been nothing but cordial and welcoming. So perhaps earning their favor may not be as difficult as Kia originally thought. But, there's a pressing issue that has been left unspoken as they stand together in the long, dark hallway.

"Din," Kia's soft voice is heard, disrupting the deafening silence of these vast corridors.

"Hm?" Din hummed, his voice rumbled through his helmet's modulator.

"Are you going to — uh — " Kia started to say, but stopped to clear her throat. "Well, I mean — join us or — be in private?"

It was an honest question, one that did not surprise Din at all. He knew this was coming the moment they were invited to dinner. If he's going to be carrying around the Darksaber, which identifies him as the next Manda'lore, then it would be best for people to see him. His real face. Show everyone he that is not made of beskar. He is not a mechanical droid, mercilessly capturing bounties with no purpose other than his own, selfish needs. He is a man and a father with a family.

"I — " he began to speak, but there was something deep inside him that he still could not break free from. It was a voice telling him that he is no longer worthy of wearing the armor. Even though he has revealed himself to Kia and the rest of this new clan of his, but these others are total strangers. Just the idea of these people looking at his face makes him uneasy.

Pretender. Traitor. False.

He took a deep breath, realizing that he has, once again, seen more Mandalorians who do not follow the old ways. He has never truly liked narrow-mindedness, but right now, he's the outcast still wearing his helmet. He had devoted his entire life on the idea that you can never show your face to any living being. An idea that, clearly, only his tribe followed. He didn't have a chance to give a response when a short, plump older woman appeared from further down the dark corridor.

"Good evening, my name is Liane. I am the head housekeeper here. If everyone is ready, please follow me," the woman says as she gestured to the group. When Din turned his head towards the bedroom with Grogu and Alina, the housekeeper noticed. "Oh, don't worry about the children, the other servants will provide them with their dinners shortly."

"It's okay, sir. The kids will be alright," Vax reassured Din with a firm pat on his back. With a long exhale, Din stepped up to follow Liane as the rest of the party trailed behind. The woman led the way through the long halls, and the rooms they passed were all mostly empty and dark. Once they had come down a long grey hall, Liane stopped before a large double door.

"Here is the dining hall," the housekeeper says as she opened the tall, massive doors. "Go ahead inside. The Wren's will join everyone in a moment."

Once the group stepped inside, they head down the corridor towards an intersection at the end of the hall. Once they rounded a corner, they see a large room with vaulted ceilings and a long rectangular table taking up the center area. Decorated with tall candlesticks, silvery utensils and bright red placemats, the table was huge and could easily seat a least a dozen guests.