The Tribe

"Who was that?" Leno asked nervously as they make their way towards a grody eatery several blocks away.

"She was..." Kia tried to explain, but could not find the right words. "Uh...just an old friend."

"Why did she do that? What did she want with me? I didn't do anything wrong!" Leno began to weep again.

"It's okay, child. Do not be afraid. You are my foundling and I promise to look after you," Kia does her best to soothe him without further frightening him. "Have you lived here your whole life?" Kia asked, spinning his questioning around in an attempt to get to know him more.

"Yes. I was born here."

"Have you ever lived anywhere else?"

"No, my parents never had enough credits to travel."

"Do you have other family?"

"I — I don't know."

"Have you ever heard of the Force?"

"Is that what gives Jedi their powers?"

"It is. I can show you how use it, if you wish. To train you to be brave, to fight, and to protect yourself from those who want to harm you. It is your decision in the end. You are not my prisoner. But if you want to leave, I will take you somewhere safe," Kia says. The boy didn't respond, he just nodded and continued staring at the ground as they walked. Kia sensed that he was deep in thought as he contemplates his decision. She could tell his mind was troubled with the fresh images of his parents' deaths at the hands of Amina.

"Child, the galaxy can be very beautiful and lovely. But it can also be quite cruel and dangerous. Mandalorians and Jedi have numerous enemies. In my life, I have seen many horrible and wonderful things. Only the weak fall prey to the darkness and become monsters. Your feelings are natural, but you must never allow them to take control over you. There is another master, one who can train you how to block these thoughts that you are having. But if you choose me, I can show you how to use your emotions as weapons. But you must make a choice," Kia explained as the boy kept quiet. His mind was still hazy and uncertain. But he did not speak, nor did he try to escape. He simply kept his head down as he followed her down a dark alleyway.

"I never knew my birth parents, and Grogu here is also adopted. I know it is a lot right now and it will take some time for you to adjust. It took me years to find my place in life. I know I can never replace your real parents, but I do hope that you will one day see me as your guardian," Kia continued, but the boy remained silent and his thoughts were still in turmoil.

"You never knew your parents?" Leno asked with surprise in his voice.

"That's right. I was given to the Jedi when I was only two years old. That is not a life I ever want for any child gifted with the Force. I was rescued by a Mandalorian, like you, and raised as one of them. My husband's parents were also killed. I'll let him tell you that story, but for now — let's get you some food."

As the three of them continue quietly strolling down the road, they soon enter a dark and crammed cantina. It was filthy and unkept. Furthermore, there was a stench in the air of burning oil and bad body odor that filled their nostrils. Everything was covered in grease and food droppings. It wasn't the most luxurious tavern in the city, but it kept a constant flow of customers and travelers passing through.

This was not a place to suggest to the average tourist, and it definitely wasn't designed for small children. However, the owner is known to serve decently sized portions of noodle dishes and hot soups for reasonable prices. One of the many benefits of being a Mandalorian, is that most people typically avoids interacting with them. Many prefer not to get on their bad side, which Kia is grateful for in this moment.