Chapter Three - A Little Pixie

The next morning, I was up early - way too early.

At eleven o'clock every Wednesday morning, I hold a video conference for the managers of the clubs that constitute the more legitimate side of my operations. I had no intention of being late for that; it would send out all kinds of inappropriate signals.

And, before that, I enjoyed a session in the gym. Nothing will induce me to miss my morning exercise - certainly not a short night. If I fail to maintain rigid discipline in my own life, how can I have the authority to direct anyone else's?

At quarter to eleven, I was at the desk in my office enjoying a cup of coffee and a croissant and, for some reason, I popped up the video feed from the spare bedroom.

And I had to smile at what I saw.

My involuntary guest was still fast asleep, curled up like a puppy, and she just looked so beautifully relaxed.

I watched her sleeping as I finished my breakfast, then pulled the video feed off onto one of my subsidiary monitors and rearranged my head... and my face... so I was ready for the meeting.

By vigorously jumping on anybody who tries to use it as an arena for self-aggrandisement, I generally manage to keep that meeting under two hours. And things were running along smoothly when something caught my eye. The little puppy had just hopped out of bed and was stretching...

And she was, of course, still stark naked!

"I'm afraid I'm going to have to interrupt you there," I said to Daniel, one of my more junior guys who was manager of the 'Terminus' club. He was attempting to explain to us why his bar sales figures had been off for the last couple of weeks and how they were going to be significantly better next.

And he was conspicuously failing to do so.

"Excuse me, gentlemen," I said. "Something urgent has come up at this end and I need to take a break. We will reconvene in five minutes"

I suspended the meeting and pulled the video stream from the guest room across onto my main monitor. As the little puppy flitted across the room, her movement had a singular grace... not in the least bit puppy-like - definitely much more of a pixie!

I chose not to follow her into the bathroom - I had no particular wish to observe her use of the toilet. Instead, I buzzed through to James and told him to bring me another coffee as I waited.

He appeared just as the pixie was emerging so I gave him a wave of thanks and dismissal as she started to hunt around the room. There was nothing in there, of course. Following her collection, I had assumed that she would be kept in one of the cells, down in the basement. But, when I had finished with her, the night before, she had looked so utterly helpless and vulnerable that, without really thinking, I had taken her along to one of my empty guest rooms.

She was still naked which meant that the display, as she flitted around the room, was quite delightful. There was a wonderful freedom to her movement, evidently completely unaware that she was being observed... and unaware of the pleasure she was giving her observer.

I was about to return my attention to the meeting when she stretched out on the thick carpet and began, quite unselfconsciously, to practice a series of yoga figures. She was quite extraordinarily flexible and I appreciated that magnificent display for rather longer than I ought, before forcing myself to pull the video feed back onto the subsidiary monitor.

Then I had to make sure every trace of my smile was gone before I pressed the buttons to reconvene the meeting.

I returned my attention to Daniel and his unconvincing numbers and quickly established that I was going to have to hold a one-on-one meeting with the lad - even though he was a couple of years older than me, I found myself thinking of him in those terms. We needed to investigate those figures in more depth. I still did not properly understand what was going on with his accounts and nor, I was starting to suspect, did he.