Chapter Seven - A Pixie Absconds

Shortly after I bought Dendean House, rumours had emerged of plans to develop some new housing on the small, wooded hill behind the estate. I had put a stop to that by the simple expedient of buying the thing.

So that is my customary destination when I take a morning run.

I am something of a creature of habit so my runs tend to follow the same route - down through the garden, past the pond and the small area of trees to the back gate. I do not normally inform the guards but, nevertheless, I expect them to promptly buzz the gate open for me. If they fail to observe me as I run quite openly through the grounds, they can hardly claim to be doing their job! They frequently track my progress with a couple of our security drones, though they consider it a point of professional pride to ensure that I never observe them. Whilst I am not convinced that it is strictly necessary, it undeniably provides useful practice for the operators.

From the gate, I follow a steep track that leads almost straight up the hill. There is a clearing on the top so, when I get there, I frequently take a brief pause... just to appreciate the view, of course.

Then I follow a long, sweeping forestry track that takes me back down the hill emerging only a few yards from the main entrance to the house.

It was a brisk morning but I enjoyed my run and had a bit of a glow on when I sat down at my desk. James appeared with my coffee and croissant and I casually flicked on the surveillance cameras in the guest room.

And I was shocked to discover that the little pixie was not there.

So I checked in the bathroom... that was empty too.

Frowning, I reached for my phone.

It did not take us long to establish what had happened and, within half an hour, I had the two relevant gate guards and my guard captain standing rigorously at attention in front of my desk.

However, by that time, my operatives had managed to ascertain that the mischievous little pixie had flitted straight back home to her flat... she had not even made any attempt at subterfuge!

Her innovative evasion technique involved walking out of the front door, strolling nonchalantly down the drive and out through the main gate. She had then asked an elderly lady for a lift into the centre of town and, from there, walked back home to her flat.

Presumably, I had failed to adequately establish the parameters of our relationship.

Well... that was going to change tonight!

Emphatically!

"So," I snarled at the two guards, looking up from the report on my computer, "my captive managed to escape by the simple expedient of walking straight past you? You even opened the barrier for her!"

The older guy looked too terrified to breathe, let alone speak, but the younger one was managing to meet my eye. "Yes, Sir!" he barked - evidently ex-military.

"I don't suppose you have any explanation, do you?"

"We ought to have anticipated your requirements better," the young man said.

"So it's my fault now, is it?" I exploded.

"There's plenty of blame to go round, Sir," the Captain interrupted. He was trying to take the flak for his underlings.

I approved, really... I suppose!

I was quiet for a moment as I worked out that, on balance, he was right. I suppose I ought to have informed security that I had decided to keep her in one of the guest rooms rather than down in the cells... and I certainly ought to have remembered to lock the door when I deposited her there, the night before!